1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM 8 Warranty

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dsheli, Aug 24, 2008.

1. dsheli

dsheli AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    Hey guys got a question for ya! I just bought a SWM-8 on ebay and it is working great. But since it was kind of an expensive purchase is there any way to warranty it if it should go bad?
    Davud

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You'll most likely have to work something out with the seller on that one. Good luck with that.

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    In general, if you have the DIRECTV protection plan, all DIRECTV equipment is covered. I don't know if DIRECTV has a way of knowing if their HSP supplied the SWM or if the customer purchased it privately, but I would think it wold be covered under the protection plan.

I know RobertE or someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    There is a SWM flag on the customers account that gets set when an install or upgrade is done with HSP supplied SWM equipment.

Additionally, with the exception of the few initial test markets, no HSPs are being supplied with SWM8's that I know of.

So, DirecTv can/does/should know if a SWM was "professionally" installed or was a DIY case. If they will cover it under the protection plan, hard to say. My gut says they will try and it will only lead to a lot of frustration and "clueless/bashing" threads down the road when those efforts fail.

If they HSPs have never gotten one to install, where are they going to get the replacement? :scratchin

5. dsheli

dsheli AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    Well correct me if I am wrong but SWM-8s are installed in MDU installations right? I know there are several installers on here would I be able to send them to one of the installers to do a warranty swap or something?
    David

6. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    While all of what you have said is completely accurate.
    There is also a 'Dish Type' flag, which is way-to-often overlooked.

I also agree that there are going to be problems with people who have SWM's in non-SWM territory. The P/P would cover the "multiswitch", but that doesn't mean the customer will get an SWM, especially if, as you said, the HSP never had them to install in the first place.

7. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Interesting. Now I'm wondering if the early SWM field trial testers have their accounts marked as having SWM "professionally installed" so the equipment is covered, since the field trial testers actually were mailed the SWMs which were self-installed! :p

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    My installation doesn't look very "professional", as it is hanging from the cables in my crawl space :D

Since it is a SWM-5, replacements probably aren't even available although a SWM8 would work fine.

9. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    When I signed up for the protection plan, I was told that my system would be completely covered after 30 days, wiring and all. Since I had installed everything at my house acting as my own "professional" installer, I fully expect them to cover it with replacments as necessary. Since D*'s name is all over the SWM8 I installed, it would be an interesting conversation to have them try to tell me they cannot get one if I ever need a replacement. Local installers seem to be able to get receivers from D*.

10. dsheli

dsheli AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    Well you guys keep saying that SWM-8s are not for residential installations correct? Then say you had a problem, would the installer even be able to get a replacement?
    David

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    No, the HSP installer will NOT be able to get a replacement SWM8.