1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM And NEW DECAs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by Alan Gordon, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yesterday afternoon, I replaced my old DECAs with the new ones.

A couple of hours after I did so, I received a "Searching For Signal" message on my SWM-connected machines. I reset everything (SWM, etc...), and everything was fine.

A few hours later, the above problem repeated itself. I repeated my actions and things were working fine.

A few hours later, the above problem repeated itself. I repeated my action and things were working fine.

This morning, I woke up, turned on my HR23-700, and found the above problem. I repeated my actions, but it's still not working.

It's not too unusual for my SWM to act this way, but not this many times in this short of a period of time.

~Alan

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Can you post your layout?
    I've never had this with my setup.

3. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Sure!

I have the SWM connected to the AU9-S. I have the stop band filter connected to the SWM. I have a splitter coming from it... and from that to the DECA connected to the H21-?00, and one going to the HR23-700.... but before it gets there, I have another splitter allowing me to hook up the DECAs to the HR23-700 and the HR20-700.

I have other legacy receivers currently connected to a Phase III dish that I have yet to move over to the AU9-S dish, but since they are on a separate system, I won't list them.

~Alan

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    AU9S is this a SWMLNB?
    If so did it come with the PI 21?
    How long is the cable from the PI to the SWMLNB?
    I do know of some with problems with 771 that were resolved with the PI 28, and "the bad" PI 21 worked fine on another system.

5. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I had a similar problem and I'm still not sure of the cause.

Was sporadically getting "searching for signal" on a non-DECA H21-200 that was attached to a SWM-8 which had other DECA receivers attached. Had removed all of the DECAs while waiting for the new DECA's to arrive, but had left the filter attached. In trying to diagnose the problem, I removed the filter, and the problem went away. After I posted here, VOS and others didn't think the filter was related, but the problem went away so all was good, but it was bugging me that I wasn't sure.

Did a little bit of reconfiguration last week when the new DECA's arrived.

Well, Friday night during the CE, one the H21-200's on the same SWM with the new DECA's (but on the other port) would not download the CE. Very weird, never had this problem before. The problem continued and the signal strength screens were wacky, bouncing from 0 to the 90's. The CE failed every time.

On Saturday morning I decided to play around a little, and swapped another H21-200 to the same splitter port and the problem stayed with the port, so I knew it wasn't the receiver.

I then swapped out the splitter for another, and the problem totally went away. But then I stress tested the removed splitter and the splitter seems fine.

My latest theory is that maybe I should have powered down the SWM-8 before making any changes, because maybe moving receivers around from SWM to SWM messed up the allocation somehow.

Well, now sitting tight, waiting to see if it happens again.

6. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    No. It's the SlimLine... I have an SWM8 hooked up from the SlimLine.

~Alan

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    well that shoots down that whole idea. :lol:
    So you have a PI 28, or should.

As with Sixto, it may be time to look over all the wiring/connections as "one bad connection" can drive you nuts. [you got to love RF]

8. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    My issue doesn't appear to be an issue with splitters, as I used to have an issue with my SWM8 prior to the use of splitters (I had two receivers hooked up back then).

I'm sure I unplugged the SWM8 prior to hooking up the DECAs... but I have since restarted everything... so I wouldn't think it would keep happening.

~Alan

9. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I may be able to check them out Wednesday, but I won't have a chance to tonight or tomorrow.... still think it's funky that it's acting worse now than it has in the past...

~Alan

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    yep.
    So is it one receiver or all?
    All would have me look at the PI to SWM8 cable.
    One would have me looking at that one leg.

11. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Usually when it happens, it's all of them, so I didn't even bother to check this time.

~Alan

12. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep VOS, I've been very careful, but seems like with the constant change, that something new crops up every once in a while.

SWM#2, port#1 (PI), went directly to SWS-2, to HR20-700 and H21-200.

All I did was replace the SWS-2 with another, and the problem went away.

But then I tested the removed SWS-2 and every test passed.

The one thing that I've always wondered about is that whenver I've had a problem, it seems to always be the SWM with the 1020a hooked to the legacy port. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Any thing you'd test to make sure there's no stray interference from somewhere?

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I can't tell you who many times I've "reseated" a connector and had it work.
    The Air Force actually had a "corrective action code" for it to clear a writeup.
    So here's what I do:
    check every connector for signs of any foreign substance,
    check that the dielectric is flush with the flange of the connector,
    use a 7/16 wrench on all connections so they're "snug" [spec is 25 in/lbs]. You should feel the connector reach the mating point and stop.
    One "hand tight" connector can cause very weird results.
    Also check filter/DECA pigtails too, since these are connections too. I felt my filter pigtail get loose as I was mounting it yesterday.

14. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    All good advice. Will do. Thx.

15. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    I had one DECA that I forgot to tighten down with a wrench and it loosened up on the receiver and caused the searching for signal on that receiver. It was not even that loose, I was surprised that it lost signal.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That little piece of copper in the coax male end center has to be seated properly in the corresponding center hole of the female coax connector.

A non-snug or poorly seated connector has done in more folks than almost any other single source of problem signal reception.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While it's hard to know if it's the center or the shield, I tend to feel it's the shield being loose that makes the poor connection, since the center pin is the first to make contact long before the threads are snug.

18. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Some truth to that as well.....of course....it depends who actually put together those compression ends. :D

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "My pin" is longer than yours. :lol:

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    OH boy.....:D:D....but actually, if its too long....that can be bad too.....;):lol:

But I suspect you already knew that. :)