1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM Installed On Outside Wall - Ugly - Can I Get It Moved To Attic?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tenn_, Feb 18, 2013.

1. tenn_

tenn_ Mentor

Sep 19, 2010
    Just had whole home DVR and Internet installed. Installer put my 16 port SWM on the outside wall by the dish along with a green label splitter. I thought this hardware would go in the attic where the LNb cables went and the existing SWM was prior to the upgrade. I didn't see this until after the installer left. In addition to being butt ugly on the side of my house I wonder how waterproof this setup is?

How likely is it that Directv will rewire this and put the SWM and splitter in my attic if I complain?

Thank you!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The only way to find out is to call and ask. If the installer left his contact information, I would call him directly. Otherwise go ahead and call DirecTV.

This is a good post to emphasize to everyone, when you have an installer show up, it is always a good idea to spend a minute or two and walk/talk through what is going to be done and how it is going to be done so you are both on the same page.

3. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Is it attached near your power meter? It has to be grounded before goes in your home so even if they move it you need the 4 lines from dish ran to ground (near your meter) with a quad ground block then 4 lines ran up to the attic and attached to the 16 mod.

4. tenn_

tenn_ Mentor

Sep 19, 2010
    It's grounded with a green wire to a ground stake driven in to the ground under the dish far away from the meter.

5. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Well then its not grounded properly. Where does the swm 16 run now?

6. tenn_

tenn_ Mentor

Sep 19, 2010
    Does DTV normally run a ground wire from the SWM to the house meter regardless of how far away the meter is from the SWM?

7. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    To be compliant with the NEC, all grounds must be bonded. So, if the electrical service panel is gounded, and the dish is grounded, these grounds must be bonded together with a sufficiently large guage conductor to insure that the bond is the lowest impedance path between the grounds. In addition, ANY other exposed ground (e.g. a metal water pipe) must also be bonded to the common ground.

A good overview on grounding: GROUNDING AND BONDING NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    10 gauge wire is for static discharge - move it to the attic and you will still have a 10 gauge wire running up the outside of the house.

Leave and Plant an evergreen in front of it.

9. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    +1

There's a 99% chance you would have to pay $49 to get it relocated (you did sign off on the work, correct?).

As for your question about how waterproof it is, very.
    I've had mine like this for nearly a year with no issues whatsoever.

Attached Files:

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Watch a SWiM 16 install yesterday, tech put it under eave above out door HVAC mess. he did not want it on roof near dish although that would have been an easier install.

The dish and wiring are all on the back side of the house anyhow, so it didn't really matter, although he had to run an extra wire from the SWiM to the dish as the existing clump was one short.

Client is thrilled, MRV on all TVs now and can record 11 shows simultaneously.

Without being asked, D* offered substantial savings on SWiM16, 2 clients, HR-34 and install.

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Question;

What's up with the "six" coax feeds into the SWiM-16?

Even if you have an additional international dish (for World Direct service) why the coax connections to "both" flexports?

12. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    There are only 5, the sixth one is a shadow. ;)

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Ah thanks ....

Shouldn't looked more carefully ... :eek:

Must have the international dish along with a Slimline then ...

14. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yep, I do!

15. Talent384

Talent384 Mentor

Sep 3, 2011
    Umm... The multiswitch is installed upside down... Not very waterproof

16. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    My SWM16 isn't grounded and it is in my wiring closet inside the house.

17. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    There should be a quad ground block on the outside of house connecting the cables from ODU to your ground in your case.