1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SWM LNB installation problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mhammett, Jul 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I'm trying to setup a SWM LNB. I have purchased an ASL-1 and am trying to align, but my AcuTrac 3 rental isn't seeing anything (it worked on my AT-9). I noticed that the power inserter's LED was flashing. I tracked it down to being when the ASL-1 is plugged in, it flashes.

Ideas? Solid Signal tech support is gone for the night.

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Do you still have the regular LNB. Align with that if you do then swap in the regular LNB.

If not make sure all power passing ports are in the right spot and no IRDs are connected.

3. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I don't have a regular LNB, only my AT-9, which has different mounts. This is installing a dish on another building on the property.

No IRDs are plugged in... there's not even any in that building yet.

When plugged directly into the dish, the LED is on constantly. When I plug in the ASL, the LED is mostly off, but flashes every few seconds. The LNB is plugged into the top port of the ASL and the power is in the second from the left.

4. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I tried a different power inserter with the same results...

5. Lancelink

Lancelink AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    It sounds like you are running the voltage from your PI right into your (rented) meter.

If you do a search for 'SWM LNB' on the Solidsignal website you will find a couple very helpful videos.

Good luck!

6. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I RMA'ed the ASL-1 through Solid Signal and received one that works this time. I'm able to see signals now, but they're significantly lower than the AT-9 I tuned on the other side of the driveway.

I'm using an AcuTrac 3 with the ASL-1 on a SWM LNB (without the ASL on my AT-9). On the AT-9, I had a Ku signal in the 80s, though I forget the Ka signals. On the SWM, I get a Ku signal in the 40s. I peaked them, but I fear plugging in a receiver to check if I'm on the right dishes because they say I can't align the LNB again after plugging in a receiver.

7. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Many (including me) have aligned their dishes with just the reciever..