1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SWM LNB with Splitter Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vikecowboy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. vikecowboy

vikecowboy AllStar

Jul 30, 2007
    I bought a SWM LNB on Ebay and it came with a 8 way splitter. I am pretty sure I know how to hook this up but I want to make sure. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for doing this but have had no luck. I also cannot watch any you tube videos at work so the ones at solid signal do me no good at the moment.

I assume that I hook the RED output of the Power Inverter to the Power Pass input of the splitter and then connect the RED Power Pass output of the splitter to the SWM LNB?? I then run the outputs of the splitter to my receivers and also the other output of the power inverter to my receivers (Tuner 1 SWM port)?

I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I appreciate any thoughts on this.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    LNB goes to the INPUT.
    PI goes on the OUTPUT
    other than these, you seem to have it correct.

3. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    that is one way to do it

the other is from the swm lnb to the PI and then to the splitter

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    you missed the backward connected splitter though.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006

How I do it most of the time. Prevents confusion where to send the voltage.

6. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
  7. vikecowboy

vikecowboy AllStar

Jul 30, 2007
    Thanks a ton guys - hopefully I will not smoke anything - seems to be a piece of cake.

8. Oct 9, 2011 #8 of 12
    jostarr

jostarr AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    The link is inactive. Can anyone help with a diagram for using an 8-way splitter with a SWM8 ??

9. Oct 9, 2011 #9 of 12
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The link still works [just checked it].
    What is your question about an 8-way splitter and a SWM8?

10. jostarr

jostarr AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply. The link does seem to be working today...thanks.

I had a swm8 switch hooked up and working, but it got hit by lightning last year, so I went back to using my old 8 port Zinwell switch. I just bought a new swm8 off eBay and it came with one 8-way green splitter. I was looking for a diagram so as to be 100% sure and avoid any problems.

I think I know about OTA, Legacy Ports, BBC's etc. I wanted a diagram to show and where the PS Unit connects to the swm8, and how and where the 8way splitter connects to the swm8. Perhaps it should be obvious, but I just wanted a diagram to be sure.

Is a diagram available?

I have seen diagrams for other combinations, bit none doer an 8way splintery

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    To power the SWM8, you have two options:
    the SWiM #1 output
    the #3 legacy port
    Connecting a splitter is fairly simple, so you can follow most of the other diagrams, [like the SWiMLNB] and connect it to the SWiM #1 output.

12. jostarr

jostarr AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    That's pretty much what I planned to do, thanks for your help.