1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM/MRV question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dualsub2006, Nov 13, 2011.

1. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I set an install appointment up and am getting SWM, Multi Room and a new DVR for a bedroom. Two questions that my search didn't directly answer.

1. Not knowing which DVR will be installed, should I drop 2 lines for it or will I only need one regardless?
    2. I failed to ask for a CCK and D* wanted $80 for it. I bought a broadband DECA adapter on Amazon for $20. Is that all that is needed to get my system on the Internet or does the CCK come with other bits?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    1. It'll only need 1 line.
    2. The DECA adapter when used as a CCK needs its own power inserter (PS18DER0). The wireless one from DirecTV should have only been like $30, I think.

3. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    well they have broad band deca adapters as well so may not need it....

they call them so many different things....

Ive noticed an old dish network receiver will power a deca if you had to and didnt have a power supply on hand.

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    You've "noticed" that, huh? I'm sure that was a high-quality installation that passed QC . . . :rolleyes:

5. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I have this adapter:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...upply-(DECABB1R0)&c=Satellite Components&sku=

Now, their wiring diagram doesn't show that particular adapter so I'm kind of at a loss.

I'll buy whatever I need to buy, but it almost looks like it is complete. Then again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

6. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Did it not come with the AC Power supply? The coax goes into that black unit, cat5 to router, and AC power to electric outlet.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Your link only gets me to the main solidsignal site, but not to a product.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You got to look at thr post in quote to see the whole URL.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That one does the same thing. http://www.solidsignal.com/ is where it takes me.

If this is a "black one" it comes with a power cord/wallwart

10. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Yes, it did come with its own power supply, but the first response to my post was the second time someone made mention of needing its own power inserter.

I'm gonna just hook it up and see what happens on Friday.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It's only "the white ones" that need a PI, since they're made to be powered by a receiver.

12. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks for the info. It looked right to me, but I wasn't sure.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just to note here:

If you plan on using an OTA tuner for the DVR, AM21 module or integrated one on an HR20, two lines will be needed.

14. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    No, not using an AM21 and my current DVRs are HR23s. I keep OTA antennas hooked up for rare rain fade during storms.

15. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Why would anyone QC a self install job where a guy bought a deca off ebay??????????????:rolleyes:

I was testing decas, the h24's would not power them, had to find something else, it was available. Good use for old POS receiver if you ask me....

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows what ebay is. You don't have to link it.

17. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    I believe ebay links itself...not a user action.

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I've notice the self-linking since FireFox v8

19. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  20. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    For reasons that I'm ashamed to admit to (I didn't visualize things properly and didn't order enough 4 way splitters) I ended up with an 8 way in my attic after the 4 way, but the install went without a hitch. Everything is exactly where I want it, every inch of wire is brand new quad shield and the guy was in and out in about an hour.

Even though there is an 8 way in the attic at the farthest point in the wiring I'm not having any issues. I'll probably leave it up there until it's time to run a line out to my daughter's room.

I'm no artist, but I'm attaching a diagram of how I installed everything.

A few observations:

1. The size of the HR24 is exactly right for the shelf that is wall mounted under my TV. Aside from that, I don't exactly prefer it to my HR23's.
    2. The HR24, farthest away from everything, downloads On Demand content at least twice as fast as the HR23's which are within feet of my cable modem and Broadband DECA adapter.
    3. On Demand channels were wiped out on my HR23's, and all three DVR's took a LONG time to repopulate the channel options.
    4. Don't exactly love the single, gigantic playlist of all recordings on all DVR's in the MRV setup. I would have preferred to have a pull down menu of DVR's, but my wife didn't complain about it so I don't really care.
    5. I now really appreciate the iPad app given that I can use it with all of my DVR's. My favorites panels are the most useful thing in the world.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it went. The installer loved the fact that he didn't have to run a single wire and my wife was happy that the guy was in and out as fast as he was.

Attached Files: