1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SWM/Networking question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by charlie460, Jan 25, 2013.

1. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    Question... if I was installing in a house that only had one HR24 & one H24, is the Cinema connection kit required to make on demand work?

I know the HR34 can be connected to the internet via the ethernet port and it will share the internet connection with other receivers, but I assume the HR24 doesn't do this.

When SWM is being used does the Ethernet port on these boxes get completely disabled? Or can I still use SWM and MRV via "unsupported" cat5e?

Thanks.

2. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    Actually, just found out that with a red button reset the Ethernet port will activate.

Here's my "new" question: If I connect *only* the HR24 to the internet via an Ethernet port, will the H24 (without any Ethernet connection) still be able to use MRV and access programming from the HR24, or does connecting an Ethernet cable to the HR24 completely disable MRV over Coax?

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You cannot use both ethernet and coax networking on those receivers, it only works with the HR34 & 44

4. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    So, I need a DECA/Cinema Kit in order to have internet connectivity on both of these receivers, without connecting Ethernet to both, correct?

5. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Correct.

6. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks.