1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM or not to SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by robsmithmortgage, Nov 28, 2010.

1. robsmithmortgage

robsmithmortgage New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    I recently purchased an LNB to slimline dish to upgrade to HD. The LNB I have is a Directv SL3K4NR0-01 with 4 outputs on it. Is this a SWM device? The guy that sold it to me also included a splitter and SWM power adapter. I want to hook up just one HD DVR to the system. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I will need to make this work?

Thank you

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Non SWiM LNB, as a SWiM only has one output.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    With a HD DVR, you will need to run two cables from the SWM to the SAT1 and SAT2 inputs. You will also need B-band converters on each (call Directv and they will send them to you free).

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    In order to make it work for a HDDVR you would need to run two wires from the lnb to the HDDVR with BBC's inline. As VOS noted it is not a SWiM lnb, but you could hook the 4 wires to a SWiM-8 and then run one wire (no BBC's) to the HDDVR.

1 person likes this.
  5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Ummm... If it's a SWM then only a cable to the SAT1 input and no B-Band converters. I assume you meant "from the LNB".

- Merg

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    We need to identify exactly what he has. If the LNB has four outputs, then it is not a SWM LNB. However, if he was sold a "splitter" and a power adapter with the LNB, then he may actually have an SWM8 module, which takes the four lines from the dish and creates a SWM setup. Then only one line is needed to the DVR instead of two,.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Looking at the OP's post, I would say that they have a legacy LNB (4 outputs on it) and got a SWM-8 (the splitter) and PI to go with it.

- Merg

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Correct;

Unfortunately, it seems the OP received the wrong LNB (a legacy one) from this "guy" along with other SWM related hardware.