1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM reading in the 70s during rain storm

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by y2thrasher, Jul 19, 2010.

1. y2thrasher

y2thrasher Cool Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Today we had a pretty severe storm go through the area and I lost all satellite signals. During the storm I went and checked the signal meters for all the satellites and they were all pretty much zero. The one thing I noticed, which concerns me, is that the signals for SWM were in the low 70s. Now, the only reason I could think that they are low is that there may be a bad connection somewhere. I wouldn't think a storm could cause the SWM signal to drop, and maybe this is why all the other signals were 0. After the storm was over, all readings were in the high 80s to mid 90s

I have already checked the connections at the splitter and they are all tight (can't remove them by hand) and they have the rubber boots on them. I don't have a ladder tall enough to reach the dish to check the connections up there.

Is this normal, or should I call directv to have someone come out and check it out.

1 other thing is, on the SWM screen in the satellite signal meters, should they all have readings in the 90s or will 1 or 2 of them be 0?

Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Absolutely normal.
    With zero SAT feeds the SWiM outputs will also be zero.
    As for when you have good levels and see zeros, this is because those are being used by other receivers. If you want to prove this, set every receiver to the transponder screen and look at the SWM screen then. No zeros and then as you exit the setup screen on one receiver, look at the same SWM screen on another and you'll see a zero [or two for a DVR] as "that receiver" uses a SWiM channel.

3. y2thrasher

y2thrasher Cool Member

Dec 3, 2008
    That makes sense now. When I view the signals on my H21, I usually have 2 SWM "transponders" that are 0, because those are the ones my HR21 is using.

Thanks for the re-assurance. Was just worried because all sat transponders showed 0, but it must have been some pretty thick clouds.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I learned this" when my dish got bumped and had zero inputs and zero outputs.