1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM splitter question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TAK3210, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2012 #1 of 20
    TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Is the difference between a SWM splitter and other splitters, such as those used for cable TV, just the range of frequencies it is designed to handle? There's nothing "special" going on inside a SWM splitter, is there?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Jan 1, 2012 #2 of 20
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
  3. Jan 1, 2012 #3 of 20
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  4. Jan 1, 2012 #4 of 20
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
  5. Jan 1, 2012 #5 of 20
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe more important to your question is whether you're asking about the connected home networking and SWiM.
    If your only question is about SWiM, then cable verses SWiM splitters simply comes down to frequencies and if there is a power passing port.
    On the other hand, if coax networking [aka DECA] is going to be used, there is only one type of splitter to use and these are "special".

6. Jan 1, 2012 #6 of 20
    TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I did do some searches, but was presented with a sea of threads to wade through.

VOS: The reason I ask is because I was thinking of testing out my RG6/SWM self-install that I'm hoping to finish up today by connecting my existing SL5 ODU to the SWM 8-way splitter and moving my HR23 around the house to each outlet. There are a couple of rooms that I had to use the existing RG59 cabling that was installed when the house was built. They are fed from a single port of the SWM 8x to a SWM 2x via RG6, then the RG59 from the 2x to the rooms. Kind of curious if those are going to work out.

I plan on ordering whole-home and using DECA once I figure out whether or not to wait until February for the HR34.

Thanks,
    Tom

7. Jan 1, 2012 #7 of 20
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    In this case:
    The best you can do is to check the SWM screen in the setup menu under view signal strength.
    You will need to have all your receivers on the setup screen, because when they're in the SAT screens, they "release" their SWiM channel. If you don't do this, the SWM screen shows zeros for channels in use by other receivers.
    I know what you really want to see is the loss of the RG59, but the best you'll be able to see is the quality of the signal in percentages.
    Look at the highest SWM channels and see how much drop off you have.

8. Jan 1, 2012 #8 of 20
    TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    I only have the one HR23 and my other two boxes are Philips DSR6000's. Will connecting the HR23 to the SWM splitter cause the SWM screen to show up? I don't see it now (direct connect to SL5 ODU). For my test, I was going to connect the HR23 in one room and put terminators on all the other outlets.

9. Jan 1, 2012 #9 of 20
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    An SL5 ODU will not generate a SWM signal. You either need a SL5S LNB, or plug your SL5's 4 cables into an SWM8 multiswitch. In case you just made a typo, and your LNB actually only has one output (instead of 4), you should be able to get the SWM screen from any coax connected to that LNB, either directly or via splitter as long as the power inserter remains between the splitter and the LNB, or is on the RED passthrough port of the splitter between the splitter and a distribution coax.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The cart may be before the horse here.
    You need to have a SWiM to measure SWiM.
    Your Philips DSR6000s don't work with SWiM.

11. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Understood. I was asking about the SWM splitters because I was thinking I'd test my new RG6 runs by connecting one of the lines coming from the current ODU (not a SWM) to the input of the SWM 8x splitter and move the HR23 to the different rooms in my house and verify HD works at each location. Was just wondering if the SWM splitters would allow that or if there was something about them that would not let me do that.

If I ran this test and the bedrooms that have the RG59 drops didn't work well, I wouldn't order any receivers for those rooms. That's what I had in mind anyway.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "The problem is"...
    you can't use splitters on a non SWiM setup, nor can you see the SWiM screen, since it is part of a SWiM setup.

13. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Even with just one receiver connected to one output port of the splitter and the other ports terminated with 75 ohm caps?
    :confused:

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Yeah", because it is not going to give you want to see.
    To get a signal through it, the receiver needs to be on a power passing port, and you still don't get into the SWM screen to measure/check anything.
    You could try to guess from the SAT screens, but it won't be as effective as looking at what you're interested in, which is the SWiM loss.

15. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Oh, well shoot... I won't know what the SWiM loss is until I've placed my order and have D* come out. I was hoping to have a better feel for the RG59 drops before I ordered a receiver for those rooms.

Thanks,
    Tom

16. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    How long are the RG59 drops?
    the longest drop in my home is RG59 (because the shorter ones are easy to replace and that one 59 drop is a PITA)

I'd guess my 59 drop is about 70+ft (from the back of the house all the way to the front and its fished through the wall) and it seems to work ok, but being the person I am I will one day replace it if for no other reason that to improve the setup from a technical standpoint

just a few details on my RG59 drop
    there's a 2way splitter and its on the SWM2 port then the really long crappy cable that needs to have a proper RG59 fitting on it (currently its using a RG6 fitting and you can see the extra space between the cable and the connector), its really the worst cable in the house but it works

17. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    I'd estimate the longest of the two RG59's is maybe around 125 ft and the other around 100 ft.

18. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    I wouldn't worry to much but I'd try to reduce the splits if possible that feed the 2 RG59 runs

VOS should know more about what'll work

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That's a lot of RG59, and 125' @ the high end of SWiM is a good 14 dB of loss.

20. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Yeah, I may be over-estimating some on the longest run, since I don't know exactly how the cable is routed in the attic crawl space. Probably not less than 100 "cable-feet", though. Anyway, I didn't order a receiver for either of those rooms. If D* does the SWM install this week, I'll test a receiver in those rooms just to see if it works for a possible addition in the future. Not a big deal either way. The RG6 I ran to the CATV box on the side of the house for those rooms can also be used for...well, CATV! :lol:

Thanks,
    Tom