1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM16 Heat Issue?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jagrim, Aug 16, 2011.

1. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    A couple of months back I was geting the 771A Error (problem communication with the dish) on one of my HR21-100's. Though a reboot would get everything back working, I finally got fed up and swapped the patch cable from the wall to the reciever and redid the connections for that reciever in the attic. All has been well since that time. (BTW, no other receivers were having that problem)

Now, I am getting 771A errors almost every day on an HR20-100. A reboot does not fix the issue. At the same time, I get the error, other STB's intermittently have the same issue (not all at the same time). To get everything back working, I power cycle the PI and it's all good.

Since we are having a small heat wave (over 100*° F the last 15 days and no rain), could this affect the performance of the SWM16? It is located in the attic and it's quite toasty up there.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It is possible. Anything is possible. Personally I have a SWiM-16 in my garage where it is routinely over 110° in the summer. I did have a problem with a bad cable but otherwise no issues.

3. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I'm not sure if it is a heat issue or not. What I do know is that it is an intermittent issue that affects different receivers at different points in time. Today I came home and found the HR20-100 that is in the study was having the problem communicating with the dish-all other STB's were working fine. I power cycled the power module and all came back to normal.

I'm not positive how to troubleshoot a cable issue that affects different receivers at different times. I think that I will change out the coax from the power module to the SWM16 to start and see if that improves the situation. If that doesn't work, then maybe swap out the power supply.

4. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I ran the coax test and have attached the results. Ran it on my H24-100 after swapping the lines with the HR20-100. Does anything look out of the ordinary?

Attached Files:

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    In general, I would never put any electronics other than a light bulb in an attic that isn't a living space. Most equipment usually has a warning about not operating above 140F. And an attic in summertime will exceed that.

Coupled with the SWM16 being over 100 degs on its own, I'd first get it out of the attic as a quick test. You should be able to bypass it, and redo a setup on a receiver to change it to Multiswitch to see if problem dissappears.

Also I had a problem in June with an intermittant LNB. Only did that on hot sunny days. So bypassing the SWM will help zero in on the problem.

6. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Unfortunately, moving it out of the attic could be an issue. I would have to do a rewire from where ever the swm16 could go. The splitters would have to remain in the attic as that is where all room cables are terminated.

I'm not sure bypassing the switch would solve the problem. Since it only affects some receivers, none at the same time, and is sporadic. It may happen today on STB #1 but not on any others and then may not affect STB#1 again for several days. At other times, it will affect the other STB's, but not in a frequency that I predict.

A restart of the receiver does not regain communication. A power cycle of the SWM16 PI has worked every time. It's like a switch is stuck and releases when cycled.

I'll try and document the times and STB's to get a better feel.

Thanks for the advise.

7. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    I think it is still worthwhile to try a bypass of the SWM...power cycling the PI not only resets the SWM, it also resets the LNB. Testing the LNB directly eliminates it as the source of the trouble. It could be that one LNB has become temperature sensitive, and the receiver that reports the problem could just happen to be the one attached to that LNB at the time of failure.

8. TITAN_53

TITAN_53 Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    I had the same problem with my PI for my SWiM LNB being in the attic last year. Had to reset it a lot in the summer. I rewired to be able to install the SWM16 in the garage instead when I upgraded. Haven't had any problems since upgrading. I agree with NR4P, I would avoid the attic if at all possible.