1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SWM16 hot to the touch

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Stevies3, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    [SIZE=10.5pt]This past weekend I installed a new Slimline dish with 4 outputs feeding a SWM16 with the 29volt power supply. Is it normal for the SWM16 to get very hot to the touch? Hot enough that i can’t keep my hand on it for a more than several seconds....[/SIZE]

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, very normal....

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I had one fail a few months back. It was really hot and knocking the signal out pretty bad.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think some of this depends on where it's located.
    I've had a couple of -16s and while they are warm, they weren't too hot to touch.
    They were outside and in the shade. If they were in direct sun, I doubt I could touch them.

5. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    I have one also, The easy way around that is NOT TO TOUCH IT !

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If you can, add some spacers -- I seen the coax barrels used for spacers -- if it's mounted flush. The two I have are warm but not hot to touch and in the basement out of weather.

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yep, I used compression connectors as standoffs for mine. They're inside, but that spot can get pretty warm in its own right (two large water heaters about 6' away and a rack with about 3000 watts worth of amps and various audio/networking gear directly below) They're certainly warm but not painful in any way to the touch.

8. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Mine was exrtremley hot to the touch. Mine is in the attic. I was up there to add a wire to one of the ports, it was nightime with attic temps around 75-80. With my previous Zinwell WB616 it was much cooler.

9. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Some of the funnier posters here have suggested using them as dish heaters to keep the ice and snow off.

!rolling