1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swm16 prepping for a new hr34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kebova1, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1 of 11
    kebova1

kebova1 New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    I currently have a 6x8 multiswitch on a 5lnb non-swm hooked to a hr21 (2 runs) a h21 and a h23. I also have whole home dvr using my existing cat 5 network (no deca etc). I want to add a hr34 and i understand i will need a swm16 to handle the hr34(5 inputs) hr21(2 inputs) h21(1 input) and h23(1 input) for 9 inputs total. I understand i will only need to run 1 cable per reciever (the beauty of swm!). I want to continue using my existing cat 5 network for whole home dvr so i dont have to buy deca equipment. I have a diagram of what i think my setup should be I just want someone to verify that it will work thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mar 3, 2012 #2 of 11
    BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    You are spot-on with the SWM setup. The only thing I have read is that you should use a 4-way splitter (and just cap one) versus an 8-way splitter. The 4-way has less signal loss than the 8-way (per some people I really trust on these forums). Someone else will have to verify that you can connect the HR34 directly to your network.

3. Mar 3, 2012 #3 of 11
    samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    An HR34 has a built in DECA that isnt disabled when you connect an ethernet cable. This intrduces noise on your SWM connected non-DECA'd equipment.

A Very Old School fellow suggested using a diplexer and terminator, if you do this let us know how it works out. Otherwise go supported.

4. Mar 5, 2012 #4 of 11
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you order the HR34 through DirecTV and they come to install it they will switch everythign over to DECA at no cost (other than the cost you pay for the HR34 and install). Why not just have DirecTV come and do this, why are you installing it yourself?

5. Mar 5, 2012 #5 of 11
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not exactly true. The upgrade to switch everything else over to DECA will be charged at the normal Whole Home upgrade price, unless the OP is able to get it discounted.

If the OP opts to continue to use ethernet for MRV after the HR34 is installed, they can install a BSF between the SWM output and the 4-way splitter to protect those receivers from the DECA frequency.

- Merg

6. Mar 5, 2012 #6 of 11
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    You sure about that? I haven't heard of a single person getting quoted prices in the $600 range for getting a HR34 with Whole Home DVR install. I thought that was the whole reason for them to force the CCK to be included with the HR34, doing so forced the computer to add any components necessary to upgrade the system to SWM/Whole Home compatible.

7. Mar 5, 2012 #7 of 11
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm not saying that it does not happen and can very well be the norm, but it is not a definite. Think of someone who has 2 HR2x's and no Whole Home on a legacy setup and then just upgrades one to a HR34. While the HR34 is ready to go for MRV, that user might not want Whole Home, so they are not just going to install a DECA for no reason.

- Merg

8. Mar 5, 2012 #8 of 11
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Read this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=201785 There are some $500+ quotes.

9. Mar 8, 2012 #9 of 11
    Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I dunno about that. I have an HR34 install happening Monday and I mentioned I was pretty antiquated in my setup with no SWiM and was running MRV through my home network. While we haggled on the price of the HR34, that was basically the only thing we haggled on pricewise. I did mention that I would like to get MRV off my home network tho.

In looking at my pending order breakdown, I have a line item...

Item Description.....Price............Quantity........Total
    MRV Install............Free.................1.............Free

I'm guessing this is a DECA install or am I mistaken?

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I believe I mentioned in another thread, that I was not saying that you can't get MRV for free just by getting a HR34. I was just stating that technically, Whole Home is not necessarily included for free automatically.

If you hadn't mentioned about switching from unsupported Whole Home to supported, you very well would not have had that line item on there.

I think in many cases, people will get it for free as in order to have the HR34, they need to upgrade the customer to a SWM setup from a legacy setup. At that point, the only additional cost to get Whole Home going for a former legacy customer would be to add DECAs to any non-DECA DVR. That's a very small cost compared to past installations where the upgrade to SWM was only so the user could have Whole Home.

- Merg

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd call and see what deal they will give you. Chances are even if they charge you something for mrv install, which I doubt, they will probably still charge you less than it would cost you to get a hr34 and a swim16 yourself.

And if you don;t get a good deal on the first call, call back again and ask another person.