1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM8 and corrosion question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by moisheh, Dec 29, 2011.

1. moisheh

moisheh Cool Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I will be installing an SWM8 and it will be exposed to some salt air. Will this be a problem and if so I would appreciate any tipse for aprocedure that might lessen or eliminate any potential problems. I would guess it is designed for the outdoors. Thanks

Moisheh

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    It will be fine outside.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While the SWM8 is made for outdoor use, the connectors will be the weak point like all of them are. Some use a dielectric grease on their threads to impede the water migration.

4. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Might be overkill but, its an idea... i personally have my lines all ran into one of these and all my connections are in the box.

[​IMG]

These can be had for under $20 bucks.:)

5. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Just curious - that doesn't appear to be ventilated. Have you had any problems or concerns with heat build up?

6. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    These boxes are designed for all weather from Alaska to middle of the serria. I have used them for over fifteen years and have never had a ploblem as long as it is mounted
    correctly.

How many would you like? I have two big box's of them and do not need any more.

Send me your address at cabletech03@hotmail.com and I will sell them to you for $8.00ea plus shipping.

Any one else need some?

7. bytor

bytor Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Salt air will eventually corrode anything. I have worked at ship yards and the salt air does nasty things even to stainless steel. I use similar pvc boxes like a Carlon NEMA 4x but they are sealed with a gasket and cover. All found at hardware box stores or Platt electric. I pass all wire through a fitting called a CGB fitting and rubber sealing washer. This Is a very sealed up instillation. I have used this for sensitive Surveillance gear and PLC relays .There is a difference between an out side installation and one subject to salt air. Just my 2 cents..:D

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    +1

9. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    I only have a little SWS-8 in there now so i don't think there will be much issue with heat. Before that i had a WB68 in there from '08 to 3 weeks ago with no issues. My biggest issue is keeping the greedy little Comcast techs out...even with a lock and "Comcast Keep Out" wrote on the front, i have still had the lock cut twice and wires cut once. Each time i called the local install supervisor (helps to know ppl that work there) and he had given me a new lock. When the wires where cut, i was given a spool of RG6 and a jar of compression fittings. They seem to think that they own all the square gray boxes mounted on the side of the place.

10. moisheh

moisheh Cool Member

Nov 26, 2011
    THanks for there replies. Cabletech thanks for the offer. I already ordered one and it will be here soon. I won't tell you just how much I had to pay!! Your offer was great!

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    No matter what you end up doing, if you live close to the ocean, the salt air will get to it as others have stated. Don't go crazy trying to seal it airtight as there's salt in the air unless you can provide a vacuum prior to sealing.

I suggest trying to get the SWM inside. If air conditioned most of the year, it will last for years. If not inside about once a year, unscrew each connector and clean them. You will eventually have to replace some but it will become visually apparent when necessary.

This is from experience with doing antenna work in and around Florida.

12. moisheh

moisheh Cool Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks: We had a Hughesnet and I always sprayed the connections. 6 years with no problems.

Moisheh