1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM8 Cable Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ssuckla, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ssuckla

ssuckla New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Do I have to run all four cables from the dish to the SWM8 for it to work? They only ran two cables down from the dish into my house.

2. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    Yes you need all four.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I guess "it depends". If you only need SD channels then you can get away with two cables on the 101 ports. If you want HD then yes, you need all four.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Well" the real answer here is: if you want HD from both the 99 & 103 locations, then all four, but if only from 99, then two [aka half assed] :lol:

5. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    sounds like 'half a**ed' intall to start with.

6. ssuckla

ssuckla New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks. Yes I don’t know why they just did not at least run the 4 cables down to the ground level even if I only had 2 receivers. I would do it myself but my house is 2 story and I don’t have a ladder that big or the desire to get on one that high. On another note will adding a SWM8 make 3d from Direct TV not work.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    So you had an install with 2 receivers (no DVRs), which would result in two coax from the dish. Adding equipment (by DirecTV) should result in an installer doing what is needed to get it working, including running additional coax. If you are doing the upgrades yourself, then you need to run the additional coax.

If the installer put in the dish AND the SWM8 with only 2 coax, then it was done wrong and needs to be fixed.

8. ssuckla

ssuckla New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Well one receiver and one DVR. There was no SWM8. I bought that to try and get around the lack of cables coming down from the dish after the install. There should have been 3 cables coming down but I did not know better when they installed it. It was done a year ago so I really cant have them come back.

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Did they install a Ground block (LOOK AROUND) by your electric meter before the cables come into your House?

If they didn't do that I would call and ask about why it wasn't done? They when they come back to fix it they should add the other two cables at that time.

Should have been done that way on first visit.

Call and ask it doesn't cost anything to ask.

10. ssuckla

ssuckla New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Yes they did but there are only 2 cables going to it. I need to call them now anyway because playing around with my setup tonight I found out my hr20/700 wont do 3d. I was using those wireless av boxes to get the signal to my tv but that wont work with 3D. So I spent last weekend running cable by my TV. Two story houses built in the early 90's suck to run cable in I found out.

11. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The SWM8 can be a partial solution for you, but you still need 4 coax from the dish to the SWM8. However, a better solution (to prevent running more coax) would be an SWM LNB. Then a single coax from the dish will be all you need. You (someone) will need to get to the dish to replace the LNB assembly.

12. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    I may be interpreting your comment incorrectly, and if so, my apologies. Someone with more knowledge should correct this if I am wrong. As far as I know the HR20's do not support 3D.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You're correct, they don't.

14. ssuckla

ssuckla New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks for all the info. I will research what the SWM LNB is and maybe go that route. Is that something Direct Tv will do our do I need a outside installer?

15. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    DIRECTV should be able to do the LNB change to SWM, however access to the dish may be a constraint. Installers have specific limits on what they can and can't do on ladders, roofs, etc.