1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SyFy audio dropout

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mike109, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    I was watching a recording of Roadkill from the SyFy channel from last Saturday (4-23-2011). The audio stopped about 90 minutes into the recording during commercial & never came back.

Did anyone else happen to record this program? If so did you have the same problem?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I haven't seen this on Syfy or the program you mention (I don't watch that particular program)... but I might have seen what you are talking about on ESPN.

I thought it was an ESPN problem... but IF this happens on different channels, maybe it is a glitch in Dish's commercial insertions when they go back to the network programming.

I'll have to pay more attention the next time it happens.

3. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    The movie was not that good. I kept watching hoping it would get better. Then at some point I wanted to know how it ends. Oh well.

My concern is that this another bug that I'm experiencing.

4. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Does anyone watch SyFy anymore? Gave up after they changed to the WWF and Ghost Hunters network......

5. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    That programming makes as much sense as putting FireFly on the Science Channel.

I admit I watch less from SyFY than I used to, because they haven't had much new programming lately. :(

6. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This is actually sort of a weird phenomenon if you ask me.

Syfy drops a bunch of Science-fiction programming because they claim that going strictly "Scifi" doesn't work because not enough of a market for it.

Meanwhile, the Science channel starts airing programs that Syfy won't touch because they see a growing desire for people to watch Scifi programming.

I still say that if Syfy would have stuck to their guns and picked up good syndicated reruns of Scifi and planned more good new Scifi of their own production... they could make a good run at cornering the market.

Scifi movies, good ones, always do well... Bad ones not so much... but you don't make decisions to drop the idea based on the bad ideas only.

7. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    There were also a few FireFly episodes on Ovation.

At least BBCA has Dr. Who. And SyFy still has Sanctuary and Stargate Universe (ends soon).

But I do really detest reality shows. :mad:

8. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I have watched maybe 2 or 3 hours altogether over the years. I have real reality in my life. Most of it varying from good to great. In my opinion and since it's my life and I'm the star my opinion is the only one that matters. Except for the opinion of mrs olguy, my executive producer. :lol:

9. May 2, 2011 #9 of 11
    Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    It's all relative though. Sy Fy in general has much higher viewership numbers than Science. So if you put Firefly on Science, it does well compared to other stuff on that channel, but compared to all the reality crap (my opinion as well) on Sy Fy, it doesn't do as well there.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... but a channel is still a channel... and it should cost the Science Channel the same thing to run a channel as it does Syfy (except for programming licensing)... so if Science Channel can make money running science fiction programming, it kind of says that Syfy was doing something wrong.

11. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    May be it's not a question of just making money, but how much money. SyFy apparently can make more money with reality BS programming as opposed to Sci-Fi programming.