1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System from Weakness.com

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by compnurd, Aug 25, 2013.

1. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Has anyone ordered a system from Weakness.com? I know they are a reputable dealer... but it looks like you can order a new system. specify what equipment you want and possibly install it yourself?

Am I reading this correct?

it looks like they ship all equipment to you.. then you contact direct tv for installation

http://www.weaknees.com/dtv_new_system.php

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I have never ordered from Weaknees, but I did notice that in your link, all offers expired on 31 Jul.

With that said, I think you are correct that you get to choose your receivers and it appears they promise no refurbed ones. And then DirecTV comes out and installs.

Looks like a good deal.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    After emailing with them it is a good deal.. They ship the hardware to you.. then either set up install or you can install yourself. if you install yourself they give you a 75 dollar credit. the nice thing is you know what model equipment you are getting

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you set up and an install most likely would be done by a 3rd party and not DirecTV. in order for DirecTV to install, they must provide at least one receiver to set the account and then you can add your "own" receivers

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes they say if you have Direct TV install then you may be charged... this is a great way though for the DIY selfer like me to get the equipment i want at the promo prices

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That makes sense

7. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    i sent them a hard drive and had them install it in one of their external cases. that is my only dealings with them.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You do realize that will be a leased HR, right?

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Usually a very expensive site. Kinda surprised to see them offering such a deal.

Rich

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes;

I think unless you purchase one of their custom HDD upgraded versions, the stock HDD versions are leased.

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Oh yea. I know the equipment is leased.. But the way I look at it is I know I can order a HR24/HR44 and a C41 and get that. Not order from Direct TV and get a HR22/HR34 and a C31 for the same price Only thing i find odd is i call them to activate the system... Not sure how that affects things.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    +1;

I could never really afford Weaknees. Even though their various custom HDD builds for different DVRs (usually TIVOs were their specialty) always intrigued me, I almost never found any competitive pricing for their products.

Heck, they're sill charging $399.00 for refurbished HR10-250s ...

Are you kidding me ... :eek2:

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So are the upgraded (with larger HDDs) HRs. I think. I used to know a few guys there quite a while ago. Not the same company it was.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Suckers abound in this world. I got involved with Service Magic, a site kinda like Angie's List, and actually got a quote for a roof shingle replacement for $30,000. When I asked the guy who gave me the estimate if anyone ever bit on this deal he replied that many people do.

Rich

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't have any experience with Weaknees personally. I will tell you from experience that almost all DIRECTV new customers get new equipment, as long as it's on the truck it goes to the new folks first. as for Weaknees' claim, the real truth is that all DIRECTV dealers (not DIRECTV itself, but the actual dealers) have access to new equipment and there are many reputable third parties who will provide the model of your choice.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I guess so.

The truth of PT Barnum's famous "sucker" maxim forever lives;

There's one born every minute it seems.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A lot of them are just uninformed. Ignorance should always be forgiven, I think. For those of us that inhabit this corner of Cyberspace, we should know better.

Rich

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Right.. No I know new customers get new equipment.. However as we all know. I can get a new Hr34 when there is a HR44 out there.. Same with the other models..