1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SYTYCD Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Henry, May 17, 2009.

1. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    So You Think You Can Dance season premier is now showing up on the 9-day EPG: FOX, Thurs 5/21, 7PM (M). If you're a fan, don't forget your timer and priority settings!

2. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Starts tonight! Wonder how many Joshuas, Wills, Gevs, Courtneys and Twitches are still out there?

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know how much of the auditions I'll watch this time... they took a long time to slog through last year.

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Yeah, I'm hoping they get to Vegas (or is it V-E-A-G-S? :D) sooner this season.

5. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Good one!

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I cheated ;) ... just re-watched Season 4.

7. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Too soon to tell how good the season will be, but I enjoyed last night's opener. I really got a kick out of watching Mary play straightman to Sonya's oohs and ahhs! :lol:

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    My 5-year-old daughter got a kick out of it. She's starting ballet and loves to watch any dancing. She was puzzled by the two male ballroom dancers. 'Daddy, boys shouldn't dance together, they get hurted...'

9. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    They went off hand-in-hand (so to speak) to do choreography, but I don't remember if either of them got a ticket to Vegas. Methinks your 5-year-old is right on the money. :D

10. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Now, this is from the girl that got distracted at her first recital and made friends with the divider at the side of the stage... lol. Have to put that video online next week...

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    When your right, your right. :)

Looking forward to the video. Bet she's a heartbreaker. :heart:

12. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I wasn't going to watch the audition show this year either, but I got started and watched it all. They didn't seem to have as many profiles this year and what they had seemed shorter, so more auditions were shown.

And, no, neither one of the guy couple got past choreography. :D

Goodness, Sonya is effusive, isn't she?! I hope the dancers live up to her expectations, but how could anyone? :lol:

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I didn't think they did, but wasn't sure. [wheew] Almost as entertaining as the Mutants were in Brooklyn.

I saw Sonya in season 4 and she never gave a hint she could be so ... er ... effusive [I like your word better]. :grin: I swear, she almost broke something. :sure: Did you see Nigel's reaction to her?

14. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
  15. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm just going to stick to talking about the dancing. :D

So the competition is off to a start next week with the top 20. It looks like a good selection of people, but I guess we'll have to watch Brandon. I think Mia and Lil C will be trying to get him off ASAP. I thought he looked good, but their expectations for him must have been ridiculously high!

I'm just so sorry that Alex didn't make it. I understand that his director wouldn't want to let him out of his contract, but he was the one I was really hoping would make the show so I could see more of his dancing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what all of you think of the dancing and the routines. It should be a good season!!

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    A lot of favorites in our living room didn't make the top 20. That's a shame. It's a talented group of people that won't see the likes of Mia in uniform (bad joke, I know :nono2:).

You're right of course, Charise; Brandon's one to watch. The minute Mia and Lil C went after him, he became an instant underdog and favorite with us. Kinda early for them to be showing such aggression, don't you think? Is it some sort of favoritism this early on?

I'm sure the group will grow on us in the weeks to come. I didn't spot a Twitch or a Courtney in the final group, but I'm hoping they'll evolve as the season goes on.

17. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    We were at Kings Island last Tue-Thur, came home and went to watch SYTYCD and the Las Vegas callbacks show only recorded for one minute. We did see on the news that there were bad storms here, so I assume the power went off. I find it odd they don't have it to stream on fox.com, or available on DoD.

18. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Alright gang, I have finally caught up to everything and am ready to watch the top 20. The one thing about this show that I like better than AI, in all of the top 20 I don't remember seeing many of the dancers individual performances. That, to me anyway, is a good thing because when you watch the weekly shows from here on out you could be seeing someone for the first time which really can make them stand out.

As to Brandon, Mia and Lil C don't like him because for some reason he reminds them of Danny from a couple of seasons ago. He was far and away the best techincal dancer on the show, but because of his attitude he came across as not really caring about the dances. Brandon to a point does this as well. He may not show it during his interviews or comments section, but go back and watch any of his choreographed routines; he just goes through the steps as if to say "I can do whatever you throw out there so I don't need to try." I hope he makes it through enough rounds to back up his boasts to Mia and Lil C.

As far not having a Twitch or Courtney, there are a couple of guys whos names escape me right now but it was the one guy who made it to Vegas last year but came up sick the day the flight left and couldn't go and the one with the brother in Afghanistan. The one girl from Denver who is living with her grandparents is very much a Courtney I think.

Whatever the case, it's going to be nice to see this show now AND then again in the fall.

19. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Yes, Danny (Season 3) suffered the same fate as Blake in Season 1. At the time Lauren Sanchez coined the phrase "America's Best Dancer". Cat Deely subsequently changed that to "America's Favorite Dancer" and for good reason: this quickly turned into a popularity contest not necessarilly crowned by talent.

Will (Season 4) is another example of a major talent gone to waste. Like the others I mention, he made the mistake of dancing with confidence soon to be misconstrued as arrogance (OK, Blake was arrogant, I'll admit it - but oh so talented! ;)).

It soon became apparent that certain Judges couldn't keep their egos in check. No one was a dancer until they said so. And if you dared to show any talent before they recognized you, you'd be put through the ringer. I have my select group of peeve Judges.

Mia is a Prima Dona distracted by her own success. She has a way of verbally destroying public opinion and getting a contestant eliminated.

I can't say much about Lil C, though. Maybe he's not on enough to make arrogance an apparent trait. I hope he's not cut from the same cloth as Mia.

Dan Karaty can be condescending when the mood strikes him, but I don't see that much venom in him. The same can be said about Nigel and Mary.

And as for Tyce ... well, every show needs a genius.

And I don't want to neglect Tabitha and Napoleon who so skillfully add substance to their routines.

Sonya is a breath of fresh air. I'm really going to enjoy her work and quirks going forward.

Still looking for my Twitch and/or Courtney. I'm not as eagle-eyed as you. It takes me a while for a dancer to show me enough moves to prove their talent. Hell, I even need three or four weeks just to remember names. :sure:

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Phillip Chbeeb is the pneumonia guy .. It will actually be interesting to see how he does as I think he made it through on his style vs. being one of the best all around. Joshua last year was in the same boat but ended up winning the whole thing. I don't think Phillip will be able to do that, but it won't bother me if I'm wrong. He seems like a really nice guy who really likes dance.