1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take receiver to friends house?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by atDev, Sep 24, 2010.

1. atDev

atDev Cool Member

Sep 13, 2010
    My friend has DirecTV. Is it possible for me to give him my receiver and he can watch NFL sunday ticket by simply switching out the receivers?

Will this throw up any flags on DirecTV's end where they may charge or cancel me?

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    What you are proposing appears to violate the Terms of Service, so the issue isn't "flags from D*", but asking how safe it is to violate the TOS, which is a no-no on dbstalk.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "possible", yes, but is against the customer agreement big time!

4. atDev

atDev Cool Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Can you point me to where this is covered in the TOS?

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It has to do with the service location [address on the account].

6. atDev

atDev Cool Member

Sep 13, 2010
    I see. Yet they allow it to be viewed via a phone/internet connection anywhere despite location.

They also offer their "Sat-Go" equipment.

To me it seems that if you pay for the subscription it shouldn't matter where you watch it. It's not like your stealing anything. But I guess if its in the TOS it's not a good idea.

7. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    But, that's not what you asked:

"give him my receiver and he can watch NFL sunday ticket"

He didn't pay for ST, you did. You propose that he double dip off your fee.

It might be a different matter (at least ethically), if you took your receiver to a tailgate and watched it. There has been a lot of discussion about that, and quite a few people do it. They get a 2nd dish (small), and take it to the game. In this case, you paid and you are very temporarily watching it at a new "portable" location. It still may be a technical violation of the TOS, but at least it passes the "smell" test.

Loaning a box to your buddy so he can watch what he didn't pay for doesn't come close to passing the smell test, in my opinion. Then again, my opinion doesn't count, and D*'s does. :)

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I didn't write the rules. You asked, and I tried to answer.
    "I think" the difference between what they do offer via phone/internet and actually from the receiver is these aren't HD, so they are a degraded feed.
    I doubt you'll find a lot of people sitting in front of an Iphone watching the sunday ticket, like you would a big screen.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I think this is an area where valor is the better part of discretion. Do the right thing, but what you have to do according to how you interpret the TOS, but just don't bring it up in a public forum.

:rolleyes:

Personally, I make my own decisions. I would rather ask forgiveness than (not then) ask permission.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Thank you!

So it is ok if I take a D12 and my little 6" TV somewhere else than my service address? It is a pretty degraded feed from an HD plasma.

IMO, if you want to take the box somewhere and watch it yourself, do it. HD or not. Now giving it to a friend to watch, that is a little different.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you are visiting your friend for the weekend, and you guys want to watch at his house for that weekend, then thats what some do, but for you to give him one of your receivers so he can watch at his house and you watch at your house, thats a complete no-no. That is technically account stacking, and that is super against the rules.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Section 1(h)

13. r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    This is a violation of FCC regulations. You cannot have receivers authorized in 2 homes at the same time. There is much more to this but for simplicity's sake that's what it is.

14. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Surely, you must be kidding, right? The FCC has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with this issue. It is between D* and the customer, and appears to be a violation of the TOS, nothing more.

15. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    People take receivers out of their homes and connect them in their campers all the time.
    Just go camping. ;)

16. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Watch on your computer with NFLST to GO

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Originally Posted by DIRECTV Customer Agreement
    (h) Private Viewing. We provide Service only for your private non-commercial use, ENJOYMENT and home viewing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't enjoy the football game today so I think I violated the TOS.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    :D

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you're working for the provider's legal dept, post to us a QUOTE from the FCC document !

20. r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    Sorry folks but the FCC is involved because of local channels. A consumer cannot obtain locals from multiple locations with 1 acct. This is called mirroring fraud. Legal source to follow.