1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking HR24 on vacation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ChrisNC, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1 of 12
    ChrisNC

ChrisNC New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    I live in Charlotte, NC and want to take my HR24 on vacation so I can watch my recorded shows and the NCAA basketball tournament this weekend. My parents own a vacation home in Murphy, NC which is in the western part of NC. They subscribe to DirecTV, but turn off their service when they leave for the winter. Can I hook up my receiver to their dish and still get my local channels from Charlotte? I am not able to re-aim the dish at the vacation house.

I believe that Murphy usually gets local channels from Chattanooga, TN. I was hoping that the spotbeam from Charlotte would reach out to Murphy and that I don't have to re-aim the dish.

2. Apr 3, 2013 #2 of 12
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You dont reaim the dish for different spots. The satellites are in the same spot in hte sky, if the Charlotte spot covers Murphy great, if not there is no way to receive the Charlotte stations. If Charlotte is not receivable you can change your address to the vacation address and receive the Murphy locals and then change back when you go home.

3. Apr 3, 2013 #3 of 12
    ChrisNC

ChrisNC New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    I've heard changing your address is not an easy thing to do with DirecTV. I think I'm going to take my receiver and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, I'll have to find a sports bar to watch the games.

Someone else sent me a PM with a link to the spot beam maps using Google Earth. It looks like the Charlotte spot will reach Murphy with a little bit of signal degradation. I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks everyone for your help.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #4 of 12
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Receiver might not even know it has been moved. If both locations have SWiM (or both don't) and both have either a 3 or 5 sat LNB your 24 will be a happy camper, just like you!

5. Apr 3, 2013 #5 of 12
    hockey_puck

hockey_puck Cool Member

Apr 19, 2009
    You should be good. Checked the spotbeam for Charlotte on satbeams.com and it is a big beam that covers most of the state. BTW your beam is on 9s at 101 degrees. CB14 on their chart.

6. Apr 4, 2013 #6 of 12
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    You won't have any trouble with the regular cable channels. Locals depend on the spot beam. We live in Pittsburgh and frequently go to a place near Charlottesville, VA. It is right on the edge of the Pittsburgh spot beam so reception is iffy. It is pretty good in the winter but fades as the air heats up to the south. The tuner doesn't know where it is. It just tries to bring in the signal.

The beam forms a more-or-less north-south ellipse, which makes east-west reception more of a problem. You are actually further from Murphy, east-west, than I am from Pittsburgh, north-south. If the beams are equal, and they may not be, local reception could be a problem. However, hockey_puck says your beam is pretty big so you could be okay.

BTW, I don't know how big Murphy is but I have a friend who lives in FL and has a place there. Small world.

7. Apr 4, 2013 #7 of 12
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    This will be the bigger issue. Make sure you are aware of your current dish and multiswitch setup and then check the setup when you get to the vacation residence. If you have a SWM now and the vacation residence doesn't, you'll need to switch the dish type over or you won't get any programming at all which should give you a (775) error.

8. Apr 4, 2013 #8 of 12
    ChrisNC

ChrisNC New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    I've made it to Murphy, but I'm having a problem getting the receiver to work. At home, I don't have SWM, but the setup here does. I tried to redo the satellite setup, but it keeps telling me it can't find the satellite signal. It detected a slimline 3s dish and the SWM, but when it tries to verify the installation, it says it can't find the satellite. I checked the signal strength and everything looks fine. Any suggestions?

9. Apr 4, 2013 #9 of 12
    Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    I'd assume it is since it detected the dish, but did you make sure the power inserted for the SWM is plugged in/has power?

Edit: Nevermind. If you've got sat signals showing up, then it must have power. Did you restart the box after redoing the setup?

10. ChrisNC

ChrisNC New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    The problem occurs when the receiver is trying to verify the configuration. It gives me an error that says a satellite signal could not be detected. I have the option to re-test, change setup, signal strength, or cancel.

11. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Yoiu could try removing the BBC's(the little square blocks on the satellite inputs), don't lose them, you need them for non SWM setup's.

12. ChrisNC

ChrisNC New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    It's working now! I'm not sure exactly how I got it to work. It may have just needed another reboot. I kept selecting the dish type as slimline 3s with SWM and it was finally able to verify the configuration. I get all of my local Charlotte stations.

Thanks everyone for your help.