1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tallest pole

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by danderson101, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danderson101

danderson101 Mentor

Oct 25, 2005
    What's the tallest pole anyone has used?
    If over 15', what was the aprox. diameter of the pole?
    Was it considered a standard installation- i.e. no additional charge?

2. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
  3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I don't think any pole mount (including tripod) qualifies as a "without extra cost" installation.

Where's my pipe bending moment table???

What is the worst case wind situation at this location (I'm thinking pretty severe for North Carolina)? Obviously, the taller the pole, the more rigid (or supported) it must be to prevent even casual bending (elevation) or twisting (azimuth). Given that the target is 22K miles away, there isn't much wiggle room.

4. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Not true. I got a pole mount for a must carry dish (61.5) at no charge straight from Dish.

5. dougmcbride

dougmcbride AllStar

Apr 17, 2005
    I had a 61.5 dish on a 20 ft TV mast at about the 15 ft level and never had any issues with it. However, you need to use guy wires on standard masts every 10 ft or you risk lots of wind movement. Towers are a different animal, but also more expensive.

Cheers,

Doug

6. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Any Pole over 7' oughta play in the NBA. :hurah:

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have two Ku dishes at work pole mounted on the same pole. The lowest one is about six feet off of the ground and the highest is around 12ft. These are decent size dishes, bigger than a Superdish. The pole was welded and installed by a local sat installer who started in C Band and now does primarily Dish and DirecTV.

If you want to make something work hard enough you will work hard enough to make it work. In this case, you'll need a really strong pipe.

You can probably get some statistics on the strength of selected pieces of pipe. They really don't expect you to leave one end floating above the other on the stats sheets but it will give you some idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.