1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tampa outage last night?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mchaney, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1 of 12
    mchaney

mchaney Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    Last night (Aug 31) just after Jackie Evancho started singing on AGT, watching NBC out of Tampa, both of my DirecTV HD DVR's (HR23 and HR20) started pixel-crashing. Audio was on/off and the picture just switched to a new set of blocked/errant pixels with some of the picture showing through about once per second. That lasted for about 30 minutes and everything came back to normal all of a sudden around 11:15pm. It was completely unwatchable so I gave up after a few minutes only to turn it back on around 11:15 to see the same thing and then bang... back to normal.

Could this have been a local problem, possibly with some sort of RF interference? It's almost like we were being "jammed". Checking today, signal levels on all three satellites are 97-100% so I think dish alignment is OK. If it's just me, what else to check: the multiswitch maybe? LNB's? Anyone heard of something similar?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Sep 1, 2010 #2 of 12
    welshdalek

welshdalek Cool Member

Apr 26, 2009
    ok, thats weird,
    here in Phoenix, Az, at around the same time (8pm AZ time) we lost the picture on a lot of channels on both of our receivers.
    I know NOTHING was wrong with my setup as.....I had a technician out earlier that day to re-align my dish after a storm - and all of my signal levels were in the up 90's.

When i checked the satellite strengths - numerous transponders from 101 were 0 and a few others were gone too.
    I checked all the cabling, powered down all hardware and rebooted the receivers.
    By the time they had all rebooted - at approx 8.30pm everything was back to normal.....
    Very odd.....

3. Sep 1, 2010 #3 of 12
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I had the same exact problem here in Mississippi around 11:30 p.m. last night. I checked my signal and alot of the transponders were showing Zero Reception. I was watching a show on Showtime channel 547 and my screen also starting skipping and pixelating. I wonder what was going on? Anyone know? I checked my Dish outside and it hasn't moved.

4. Sep 1, 2010 #4 of 12
    kg6mvb

kg6mvb New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    A few channels went out last night around 9pm MDT in Albuquerque as well. When I looked at signal strength 101 had a few zeros on several transponders. All the boxes were the same and the other sats were fine. Last night was clear so I couldn't blame it on weather. It all came back about a half hour later.

At the time I didn't see anything on this forum. I was wondering what may be getting flaky in my dish or multiswitch (as it was on all the boxes and those are common items), but seeing this tells me it wasn't me.

Tom

5. Sep 1, 2010 #5 of 12
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    We also had no storms in the area so the outage could not have been weather related. On my standard definition receivers a message came up at the bottom of the screen that read "Searching for satellite signal" and my Receiver i.d. number popped up onto the screen. I wonder what was going on. It lasted around 20 minutes and then everything went back to normal after checking my signal strengths all the ones that read zero went back to 99 and 100% So I know for a fact my dish does not need realignment.

6. Sep 1, 2010 #6 of 12
    mchaney

mchaney Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    Strange that no one would report that here. I thought something went flaky in my setup because no one else mentioned it. Those times all match up pretty well. Wonder what was going on? I wasn't very happy with D* at the time since it interrupted one of the people I really wanted to see on AGT. I too went outside and nothing but stars.

Mike

7. Sep 1, 2010 #7 of 12
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    There was something definately going on. My Dish could not get any signal. Sports channels in the 600's also for me went out during this time. Something is up with the satellite. Maybe something happening in outer space blocked the line of sight to our dishes?

8. Sep 1, 2010 #8 of 12
    welshdalek

welshdalek Cool Member

Apr 26, 2009
    the 1st thing i did was to log onto this forum..and nada!! no one had posted anything about this!!

Curiosity piqued this morning so i had to see if anyone experienced any similar.. thankfully they did!!

Wonder what happened?

9. Sep 1, 2010 #9 of 12
    Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Happened in Nashville two weeks ago for about twenty minutes. Sounds like a spotbeam transponder getting the hiccups. ;)

10. mchaney

mchaney Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    First thing I did was go outside expecting to see an owl perched on the dish or something. Nada. Clear sky. Nothing. I came inside and popped my head in here about 10 minutes later figuring the forum would be buzzing. Nothing here so I thought it was just me.

Do we know if anyone had service with no interruptions around 11pm eastern time on 8/31? I'd be interested to know because that's odd that it seems like there was a problem that was not localized to any area (spot beams) so I would think everyone would have been out. Arizona, New Mexico, Florida... doesn't sound like spot beams. I wonder if it could have been some sort of space debris? It really looked like some sort of interference though: certainly wasn't a total block. Some type of ~1 second pulsing.

Mike

11. welshdalek

welshdalek Cool Member

Apr 26, 2009
    LOL, when i went out and checked my newly aligned dish all i saw was a bloody big spider making a web on the lnb...didnt think that was the cause of the problem though, but i stopped him in his devious tracks anyway..:lol:

Ok, should have checked twitter - they were aware of a problem...

12. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Well I'm in the Central Time Zone and I can report it was around 11:20 p.m. late last night when this happend to me. I was watching a showtime channel and all of a sudden, Screen Freezes. It was like when the satellite goes out when it rains. The Picture started to freeze up and then all of a sudden dark screen. Searching For Satellite Signal popped up at bottom of screen. I quickly looked at my signal strengths and alot of them were at Zero. Some Channels were still working, others had gone down. I went to check my dish to see if a bird was maybe perched up on it blocking the LNB. Nothing On Top of the dish. Skys here were clear. No Rain or Storms at all in my area. Something had to make the signals go down last night.