1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tax time for 2012, software or online?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by armophob, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1 of 60
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I have been using Turbo Tax online for a few years now.
    I am about to do the same.
    Anyone have a better idea?

2. Jan 5, 2013 #2 of 60
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    I've used TurboTax software (not online) for more than 8 years now.

Very satisfied, and welcome the data being locally secure as opposed to online somewhere else. It comes down to preference.

I have tried 2 other tax packages, but they seem far less intuitive and also lacked the powerful help that comes with TurboTax IMHO.

3. Jan 5, 2013 #3 of 60
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I do it on-line. Different sites based on the IRS free-file recommendations. Don't why they change guidelines every year, but I can usually find one that free-files both the Fed and State.

4. Jan 5, 2013 #4 of 60
    armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I guess I always assumed the data was stored on my computer even with the online version.
    I had not even considered the security aspect of it.
    Might be time to buy the software again.

5. Jan 5, 2013 #5 of 60
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    I really don't want to derail this thread...so I'll just quickly say that based on working in the financial services technology business for a long time...any feeling of security about storing financial information online somewhere should be based on one's comfort level with who stores it and how. Most folks don't even ask their vendor about those things. But even the feds are now questioning and researching risks tied to cloud computing...so nothing's absolute when it comes to online data storage security. Sorry for that brief distraction.

As a product...there are actually several good Tax programs out there, and they all seem to get a bit better each year in terms of usability. Given the choice, I'll stick with TurboTax.

6. Jan 5, 2013 #6 of 60
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I use the Turbo Tax Disc. I want to be able to reload and look at past years files if I need to or want to for any reason.
    I like that it pulls in last year's information and fills it in on the new form.
    Especially like that it pulls in my stock trades and enters all of those. That used to take quite awhile to do that when I trade a lot.

7. Jan 5, 2013 #7 of 60
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    TurboTax here for many years. No wonder so many accountants are out of work.

I think a major crisis about to happen is because we have so much or our banking / financial information available to third world countries.

8. Jan 5, 2013 #8 of 60
    armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    And that is one reason why I started the thread. The stock trade info has been sketchy at best with TurboTax. A few years I just had to do it on a legal pad to get it right. But I assumed all of the tax companies were using that same resource that was overloaded. The name slips my mind.

9. Jan 5, 2013 #9 of 60
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You might want to read this article: Computer World: Do you know where your data is?.

The author wanted to amend his 2009 taxes (in 2011). The data file was no longer available online, so he had to do it 'the long way.' He could have saved the data file to his computer, but he didn't know it at the time. Just another thing to consider.

10. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    TurboTax Deluxe or Premier for many years. Works perfectly.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The accuracy and availability of the stock buys and sells should be whatever your broker is providing for the program to import.

I use Scottrade and they just started doing it in the last few years. Before that it was all by hand. For that and taxes reasons I did most of my trading in the IRA and bought stocks with a longer termed outlook for the taxable account.

12. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    ive used taxact online for several years with no problems. other members of my family have used turbo tax software for years with no complaints.

13. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    TurboTax disk for many years it has always worked very well.

14. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    TT online.

15. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    I been using turbo tax for 12 years, I actually got the 2012 copy on nov 18 the first day it was available. There is always a 10 discount on day 1.

I tell you what is nice my w-2 is ready to. The only thing im waiting for is the bank and other stuff, but I'm ready to file. But I always file 2nd week in February.

16. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Have been using TaxCut (which is now known as "H&R Block At Home™ Tax Software"---what marketing genius made that decision?) pretty much since it's been available.

There's always a pretty significant price discount available at some point before April 15, of which I generally try to avail myself. In fact, today, Amazon has the downloadable deluxe version available for $17.00, so I already have my copy.

I did a side-by-side comparison of TaxCut and TurboTax a couple of years ago and found them to be functionally quite similar, but decided to continue to use TaxCut due to the lower annual cost for TaxCut, I mean, H&R Block At Home™ Tax Software. :rolleyes:

17. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    When you did this, did you have stocks and wash rules in play?

18. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    I've been at least partially invested for a long, long, long (did I mention long?) time. I seek opportunities, some short-term, some long.

As to the software, I found neither to be definitively superior to the other, but both to be fairly capable, and, thus, stuck with the familiar. Neither will save you from all of the manual work/calculations required, especially as your portfolio becomes increasingly complex, but both are fairly well refined at this point.

19. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    If you are doing more than 1 tax return Tax Cut offers 5 free e-files compared to 1 for Turbo Tax. I switched for this reason. I think Turbo Tax interface is a little better but I was happy to save money :)

20. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005