1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Forum - February 10th

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mark Holtz, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 3, 2003 #1 of 43
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Hopefully, an admin will make this a sticky...

According to Dish Network, the Tech Forum is on Monday, February 10th at 9 PM ET/6 PM PT.

REMEMBER! NO QUESTIONS ABOUT CHANNEL REQUESTS OR PROGRAMMING!

2. Feb 3, 2003 #2 of 43
    shilton

shilton Godfather

Nov 20, 2002
    My questions for the teckies are 2 fold...1st...My 301 has a PPV on it from October that Dish is yet to pull and bill me for. We have heard rumors that Dish's phone lines are swamped. What is being done to address concerns from customers like me who have PPV events that we aren't being billed for due to the receiver's inability to connect to Dish...and before you jump to conclusions...YES I AM PLUGGED INTO A WORKING PHONE LINE.

(2)...For about the past month, my 501's fan keeps running once the unit has been powered off and it keeps running unless a reboot is done. I believe this is a software issue since it didn't happen until I received a software upgrade. Is Dish aware of this problem and what is being done to address it???

That's it

3. Feb 4, 2003 #3 of 43
    Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Shilton, there is a bug in all open TV receiver firmware currently, where if you have not gone to diagnostics and selected dialout, the receiver will forever keep trying to dial into E* every few hours. If you have the patience, try this option even though it may take up to one hour to succesfully connect because you will see status, and your PPV purchases will go away within a few days.

I have tried to convence E* ATS of this because it is very repeatable on a newly activated receiver, but they do not seem interested.

4. Feb 4, 2003 #4 of 43
    sampatterson

sampatterson Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 27, 2002
    The usual standby questions (although not technical): OpenTV for 721, when? 921, when please please?

5. Feb 4, 2003 #5 of 43
    shilton

shilton Godfather

Nov 20, 2002
    Marcus, Thanks for the tip...and by the way, I am pleasantly surprised, to be reading a kind response from you. I guess I misjudged you, as it seems you are not "all negative"...but I will say that your intent on some of the other threads may not have come off the way you meant for it to. I apologize for "side-slamming" you for your earlier posts on the other threads! Hope you can forgive me. But let me ask you....what happens if I try this and it says "no dial out pending???" I am pretty sure I tried this one before and that was the message I got. Any ideas here. Again...keep in mind my phone line tests ok and it IS plugged in. Dish gave me some silly idea about turn the receiver off then turn it back on right away and leave it sit for about 20 minutes and it will clear the PPV and it didn't. Guess they don't want their $$$ bad enough.

6. Feb 4, 2003 #6 of 43
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Here's somethings I've been wondering-

Will there ever be name based recordings on DishPVRs?
    Limiting search & themes to only channels you sub to?
    Being able to switch channels in the 1/4 screen EPG?
    Any info on the 211, 322 or 522?

7. Feb 5, 2003 #7 of 43
    johnsmith22

johnsmith22 Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    Could the extended guide be put on 119 or at least on one of the transponders at 110 that is received at a decent level in the USVI and Puerto Rico, or failing that could the 501/8 software be modified to default to the standard guide if the extended guide is not available for any reason.

8. Feb 5, 2003 #8 of 43
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I always look forward to the Tech Chats, I like when they are Tech and not hour long ads. :)

I am very hopeful that by the tech chat I will have some 721 news and pictures to share with everyone. :) Keep your fingers crossed everyone.

9. Feb 5, 2003 #9 of 43
    BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    1. Where is the 721 keyboard?
    2. Will you PLEASE allow us users who already pay for broadband elsewhere to bring our own internet access for use with the 721 (even if you put a small fee for BYOInternetAccess)
    3. What is a REALISTIC ship date for the 921. Any words on cost?
    4. When are you going to fix the delayed audio bug when jumping backwards and forwards with recordings (skipping commercials etc.)
    5. When are we getting Interactive Weather and Dish Home for the 721
    6. What new features do you have planned for the 721 in coming releases, if any.

10. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Oh, and can you fix the search function so it doesn't limit us to 600 results. That sounds like a lot but with all the PPV movies and movies on international channels, I can only search for movies around 9 hours ahead as they waste 25% of the results on movies that already started hours ago. Either that or allow us to use filters to weed out movies we don't want on the list (ie, PPVs, foreign language, etc.)

11. jquaglino

jquaglino Cool Member

Sep 18, 2002
    When will be able to receive PSIP information in the guide from our local digital stations who are broadcasting the info?

12. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Once again, my quarterly request for the 6000 to be able to read the PSIP Guide Data so we can know what the Frill we are watching.

Make the 6000 so it does not lose it's brains after sitting on an OTA channel for awhile.

Get rid of the progress bar when fast forwarding a recording on the PVR's, or at least move it lower AND make it translucent AND put a time-based counter in.

Option to disable Mr. Blinkey on PVR's.

Add a Sleep function to the PVR's and an option to power off after playing a recording.

13. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    All we really need is more Kim Cattrall!

14. Uncle Peter

Uncle Peter AllStar

Jun 26, 2002
    Maybe those of us that have those Buggy Dishplayers should call and ask for our Money back. What a Joke those things were. Do they even make them anymore???

15. Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    It means that the receiver believes the SIM firmware and programming is current. So your receiver should be dialing out to upload purchases. What happens when you run the phone line diagnostic? The turning off the receiver option is now a reboot when you pull the smart card out and wait for the system info screen to appear and then re-insert it. The receiver will re-boot and display "acquiring satellite". It does take 90 days for the purchases to clear from the date of purchase, so if you purchased in Nov, they should clear any day. If not the pull power plug idea may be required. After test phone connection diags and if unable to detect a phone line, that is not good.

On the other, I have been a E* since 97' and an old geezer on dbsforums. I am still concerned about the issue because as I thought, most did not tally all package increases that have occured this last year and those that sub to the 100/150 are not laughing at the latest increase while 50/everything subs where given a waiver.

16. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    721 features, like internet and 3 timer conflict screen. Fix any 721 bugs. Maybe even tell us about know bugs maybe a nice fullscreen graphic..

17. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The show again does not appear in the DISHPlayer listings. DP owners will have to create a manual timer or, if it still doesn't appear after the Monday download, turn DP off, enter 7225000, turn DP on, press Home, wait for 44-hour guide to load, go to guide.

Speaking of the DP, we're still losing sound after using the skip buttons, also seeing HTML or similar on several screens.

Will the DP still be getting the Dish EEPG?

Thank you for P168 on the 501/508. The new slow-motion and frame-advance, as well as the improvements to Search and the Timers screen, seem to be very well implemented. I was disappointed that, despite all the work in these areas, a couple of annoyances are still with us: we can't scroll the timer list and can't delete a single entry from search history.

What does P169 do for us? Any new/changed features? What bugs were fixed?

Are there still any plans to use the 501's expansion port?

Last month Charlie gave an unsatisfactory answer to a question about 4 satellite reception. There may not be a lot, but there are people for whom this is a legitimate need. Please show solutions for both legacy and DishPro switches.

18. larrydj

larrydj AllStar

Aug 10, 2002
    Another 721 bug question: It doesn't receive channel RFI, at 660. When will this be fixed?

19. rych

rych Guest

Dishplayer issues: video blinkouts, loss of sound in skip forward/backward on locals, HTML on various screens, rebooting and downloading channel map after 2 AM download; 2 AM download during standard time in Pacific time zone.
    -Rych

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Ask again about the Dish 6000 and the PSIP in the Local Digital Guide. This item is sorely missed.

Cyclone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.