1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Help - DP Twin

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by funkyudda, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 4, 2006 #1 of 12
    funkyudda

funkyudda New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    I have a DP Twin and it seems that I am only getting one signal from it as of this afternoon. Do these fail very often? Is there a likely problem other than in the dp twin hardware? Are they easy to replace?

Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 4, 2006 #2 of 12
    dartonviper

dartonviper Legend

Mar 10, 2004
    Try This
    Unplug your receiver for a couple of minutes from the electrical
    Plug it back in and let it boot up
    Then go menu
    #6 System setup
    #1 Installation
    #1 Point Dish
    Check switch and test.

3. Nov 4, 2006 #3 of 12
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Could you expand upon "I am only getting one signal from it"? Is that on receiver gets 110 & 119 fine, but the other coax connection gets nothing? Or both coax connections on the Twin only get 110? It is easy to replace a Twin with another one.

When you run the suggested Check Switch, save the info on Switch detected and satellites seen to post here.

4. Nov 4, 2006 #4 of 12
    funkyudda

funkyudda New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    I get 110 and 119 on one Satellite input, but not on the other. On the input that is not working, I get an X for Satellite and Trans. and a status of "Reception Verified". It displays switch as "None". Not sure if it matter, but I have only 1 receiver that supplies 2 TVs. Thanks for your help.

5. Nov 4, 2006 #5 of 12
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you are only getting programming off a dish 500 aimed at 110 & 119 that switch test is correct and normal. If you are using a dish 1000 you would be missing the 129 satellite for high definition.

6. Nov 4, 2006 #6 of 12
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I would have expected a DP Twin to at least have been identified (but I'm legacy, with zero DP experience) since the switch is internal.

Since you have two outputs on the receiver, you do have two cables between the receiver and the DP Twin - right? When you disconnect and swap them at the back of the receiver, does signal strength swap between Tuner 1 and 2 so that a different tuner has zero strength? i.e. a bad coax would make one side appear to have zero strength. Water entering on of the two coax runs will eventually give you no signal.

Whichever tuner is currently "bad", does Check Switch show anything different when it is disconnected completely?

7. Nov 4, 2006 #7 of 12
    funkyudda

funkyudda New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Yes, there are two cables. I switched them around at the back of the receiver to get my main tv to be the one that has a signal, but I was planning on switching the connections outside to test the coax in the morning. It did rain earlier today, so there may be something there.

When disconnected completely, the test results are the same.

8. Nov 4, 2006 #8 of 12
    DishTSR3Mentor

DishTSR3Mentor Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    Here's how DP Twins work.

DP Twins have two satellite orbits - 110 and 119. And, unlike their legacy counterparts, they do not require a seperate line for each side of the transponder (odd, even) because they bandstack on one cable. Since you have a dual tuner receiver, you should have two direct lines - each carrying 119 and 110 coming from outside into your home to the back of your receiver - if swapping the cables swaps your results, this is for one of three reasons (or a combination of a few)

1. Bad Lnbf (DP Twin)
    2. Bad Coax Run
    3. Bad Sat In port on Reciever

The average guy with a pair of good eyeglasses could probably determine if the cable is bad, but other than that, you wouldn't be able to do much else unless you had signal testing equipment - which hardly anyone has.

So, once you inspect the line, and if indeed it is NOT the line - give us a call and we'll send a tech out to your place.

9. Nov 5, 2006 #9 of 12
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    You've already verified both tuners on the receiver work with the "good side" so you can rule out a receiver problem. It is better to use signal strength in Point Dish where you select the tuner, than depend on the tuner matching the TV1/TV2 output (don't have to match).

Just disconnecting the cables at the dish end may make it obvious if moisture has gotten into the coax. It wouldn't necessarily be the coax connection at the LNB, but if you unscrew it and swap there, you can verify each run of cable. If they go to a grounding block and there isn't a drip loop, the connections at the ground block should be checked first.

You can also verify each half of the Twin individually. If you currently have a signal working on Tuner 1, unplug either the A or B cable to see where that coax connects to the Twin. If the "working coax" connects Tuner 1 to connector B at the Twin, using the other cable for that same Tuner 1 to connector B should also work if the other cable is good. The "good" cable should also work for Tuner 2 to connector A. If that doesn't work, it would point more toward a specific problem with one port on the Twin.

If you happen to have a volt meter, you could make sure you see 18 VDc from the center to the shield on both coax cables (as long as they are connected at the receiver and it is powered on).

10. funkyudda

funkyudda New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Okay, I believe I have everything working now, although I am not sure exactly why.

Here is what I did:

Switch the cables at the grounding block. After this, the results were swaped. So, I figure my cable is good from there to my receiver.

Then I went to the dish and swaped the cables there thinking I would test the cable to the grounding block. When I came back in and powered up and ran the switch check, everything checked out okay and both tvs are working. There did not seem to be any water in the coax and the connections were secure.

So, I am a little confused, but everything is working and I did not have to pay the $50 or whatever Dish wanted to send someone out. Thanks you so much for all your suggestions.

11. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    A switch (including the one internal to the Twin) can get "stuck" and need to have all power removed, but that should be ruled out by previous tests. You certainly wouldn't be the first person to fix everything by unplugging, looking at the connectors, and reconnecting. If the prong sticking out was oxidized, it might not have been making a good contact.

I'd check at the dish 1st if it reoccurs, but just enjoy what you have while you have it!

12. funkyudda

funkyudda New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    After a week of sporadic results, I discovered the problem this weekend. There was an extra connector between the grounding block and the dish. It was wrapped in electrical tape, but upon removing the tape, I discovered both ends of the coax were pretty much rotted away. So, I guess there was enough of a connection there for it to work sometimes. Anyway, I will put in some new connectors tomorrow and I should be good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.