1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Here and confused. what Should I tell him

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by RichWNJ, Aug 26, 2010.

1. RichWNJ

RichWNJ Cool Member

Jul 30, 2007
    have a SatTec guy here in central NJ and he is confused at to what to do with this set up. What should I tell him

SlimLine 5 > 4 wires into a Zinwell 6x8 (Multiswitch#1)
    From this, 4 Wires go to another Zinwell 6x8(Multi #2) in the Attic and 4 wires head down to another Zinwell 6x8(Multi #3) in the Basement

Multi #2 feeds 1 HR22(2 current lines), 2 standard DVrs(1 line each) and 1 standard reciever (1 line) = 7 total tuners needed

Multi #3 in basement feeds a HR20 (2 lines), 2 more HR20s (1 line each) and a standard HD box = 7 tuners + ick = 8 tuners needed

in addition they are to install ICK

He claims he can't give me 2 SWiM 16's. How should he swap out these multiswitches so that everything with 1 line works with SWim and the boxes eligible for MRV work

Thank you

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    If I'm doing the math right you have 8 boxes for a total of 16 tuners yes? All you would need is one SWM-16,a PI, and a couple of splitters to feed everything. Mount the SWM-16 in the 1st 6x8s location and split the lines at the other locations.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=172052

That is the link to the first look for the SWM-16.

As for boxes that will work with WHDVR service, which SD boxes do you have?

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "My count" is seven tuners on each of the two SWiM-16 outputs:

[​IMG]

4. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    No, he only has 12 tuners...standard receivers only have one tuner...all the OP needs is a single SWM16...

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Need more coffee?
    To the OP the ICK isn't and doesn't count as a tuner.

6. RichWNJ

RichWNJ Cool Member

Jul 30, 2007
    There are 14 total TV tuners + ICK (not sure if that counts). 7 on each floor

He says now, he will put a SWiM 16 in the attic (no power there - he says ok) and then feed 1 wire to the basement where he will put a 1x8 Multiswitch to feed the other 7 tuners

he is swapping out these boxes:
    SonyHD200 (standard HD)
    SDDVR80 (standard dvr)
    R10DVR (standard dvr)
    GAE80 (old standard reciever)

the rest are 3 HR20's and 1 HR22

7. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Yes, only one SWiM-16 is needed, replacing Multiswitch #1.
    Multi #2 and Multi #3 will need to be replaced by 4 or 8-way green label splitters.

The SWiM-16 has two outputs, SWM1/PWR and SWM2. Connect these outputs to the new splitters.

The power inserter can go pretty much anywhere, by making sure it's connected to a red output port on the splitter connected to SWM1/PWR, or it can be directly connected to the SWiM-16 by using the dedicated PWR port.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The SWiM-16 can be powered from the 1st SWiM output, so the PI can be where he is going to put it.
    Seems like for now, you're going the right direction.

9. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    What is he swapping all these with?

There is a good chart in the link:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=175094

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    SWiM compatible receiver. :lol:

11. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    :lol:

I think I'm the one who needs the coffee.....first I can't add then I forget to add the link....epic fail today for me.

12. RichWNJ

RichWNJ Cool Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Thank you. this seems to be what the Tech decided himself after thinking it over, so props to the tech. He did indicate the 1x8 splitter in the basement can power the SWiM 16 in the attic

I'll let you know when it is finished and if it works

13. RichWNJ

RichWNJ Cool Member

Jul 30, 2007
    One other question. It seems like I now have room for only 1 more tuner per floor. If I ever needed to go to more tuners, what would I need to do? Could I just hang another 1x8 splitter off the SWiM 16?

14. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    That depends. The SWiM-16 has "legacy" outputs, 4 connections that could feed a multiswitch. These are not SWiM connections, so I would use them with the standard definition DVRs/receivers, as MRV would not work via the coax.

The "legacy" outputs could also feed another SWiM-16, but the DVRs/receivers on the second SWiM-16 won't see the ones connected to the first SWiM-16 without a second ICK.

You cannot hang another splitter off the SWiM-16. It can only support 8 tuners each on outputs SWM1/PWR and SWM2.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    When you exceed 16 tuners, you go with dual SWiM-16s or a SWiM-16 & SWM8, but these will have two DECA clouds and so wouldn't share MRV without going through a router/switch and have two ICK DECAs.

[​IMG]

16. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Considering the OP's existing cabling, if he ever needed to go with 2 SWiM-16s, it might be better to use four 2-way splitters where multiswitch #1 was originally, utiliizing the 4 cables each going to the attic and basement to feed the two SWiM-16s, rather than cascade them like in the picture.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Location may cause some changes to this, but there may be a plus to going the cascaded route as these are multi-switches and they seem to have less loss than splitters. SWiMs have AGCs on their outputs, but their inputs need to be fed with as much signal as they can be, or you start eating into the AGC range before you should and this can affect the rainfade resistance.

18. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    OK...so I mis-counted...I knew he didn't need two SWM-16's!

19. RichWNJ

RichWNJ Cool Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Install is finished and everything is working as expected on all boxes

Thank you for the help

20. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Very good, what SD boxes did you receive?