1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Danson joining the cast of CSI

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Sharkie_Fan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    US Magazine is reporting that Ted Danson will replace Laurence Fishburne on the cast of CSI.

Washington Post story.

And, Inside TV @ EW

I have to say I like this move. I found myself liking 'Ray Langston' at times, and at other times completely uninterested in him. I didn't like the progression from University Professor to Crime Lab Go To Guy in a matter of episodes. And the story line with the serial killer who wouldn't die didn't really capture me. It was good the first time around - the subsequent times through the storyline didn't thrill me.

I haven't seen any of Ted Danson's more recent work, but I think he's a good actor who could fit in really well with the cast that's already assembled. Obviously alot depends on the character they have written for him, but in my minds eye, I can see this being a good fit and refreshing the series a little bit.

That's my hope anyway. :) CSI is one of the staples around our house, and it was at times tough to watch last season, so hopefully they can regroup and recover some of their lost popularity!

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From The Hollywood Reporter:

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ok, mods would you combine the two threads.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    He's OK in some roles, but he gave me the creeps in both "Body Heat" and "The Onion Field".

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm not sure about this one. I haven't liked his last couple of roles, they were too harsh and too hard smoking. I heard he wanted to get right of Sam Malone as his image, but ...

I'll certainly give him a try, I like the series too much. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'm not to sure what to think of this one just yet.
    I like the fact that he is coming in a Supervisor and not some low level CSI (as Langston was) who acts like a supervisor. However, they have to be careful not to make his character to much like Grissom otherwise that will possibly turn viewers off.

7. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I'll keep an open mind on this and see how it plays out. At least the writers realized their mistake of replacing the lab supervisor with a rookie and didn't make the same mistake twice.

8. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm thinking too harsh wouldn't play well in CSI... so hopefully they've created a character that can be NOT Sam Malone but at the same time not be so over the top that the character is unenjoyable.

9. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Very interesting choice.... but said... he comming in as an experienced CSI, in a management supervisor role.. that is going to help a lot.

10. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Have I missed something but what happened to Katherine? She was the shift super and I know she, the actor, was planning to leave after this coming season.

From my android

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I like this idea.

Really enjoyed his work on Damages.

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    They announced a couple weeks ago... The character is going to transition into a lesser on-screen role. (Same announcement about Fishbern leaving)

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    When then he's in the right show for that creepy stuff.

BTW, I think he's a nice addition. Wonder what kind of fault they're going to give his character?

14. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Maybe they'll make him a Red Sux fan. That's quite a character fault (and something Danson can do based on past parts). :D

15. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    "Sometimes you want to go where everybody kills a friend."- Borrowed from a friend

16. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    He'll be psycho about making sure his hairpiece covers his bald spot.

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Looking forward to it. Liked him in Cheers, loved him in Becker and Damages. As long as the writing is good, I expect him to hit this one out of the park.

18. pfueri

pfueri Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    This is a bad choice for CSI . And I thought Laurence Fishburne was a bad choice this is just as bad of a choice !

19. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    No matter what role he plays, I still have him type-casted in my head as Sam. I grew up watching Cheers, over and over and over.
    I am catching up with the Bored to Death series and I still just look at him as an aging bartender.

20. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Agreed. He showed a pretty good depth in that role, so as far as his acting goes, I believe he's got the goods. It'll really come down to how the writers mesh with his style.....