1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Richard King, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TedKennedy/story?id=6692022
    This is not a political topic.

More...

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I hope he did not suffer. And may God rest his soul. That family suffered tragedy after tragedy for so many years.

3. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    R.I.P. "Ted" you were one of the best... :(

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    regardless of your political views (I tend to rarely ever have agreed with Ted), he was a well respected man on the hill and will be missed by many.

Rest in Peace

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Senator Kennedy was such an influence to us all... I wish the best to his family right now.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    R.I.P. Teddy.

The Kennedy Family torch is passed, yet again.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    A distinguishing characteristic of Ted Kennedy is that when he proposed something, no one ever asked what was really in it for him. Ted Kennedy thoroughly embraced the notion that to those who age given much, much is expected. When Kennedy supported expansion of government programs to aid the downtrodden, he didn't do it as subtrifuge to make jobs and contracts available for his friends.

It will be interesting to look back a decade from now and see what has become of the Kennedy clan. They are now a bunch of cousins, each involved in public service, but only Joe Kennedy is a public political animal. As I see it, the head of a patriarchal family must be seen as being at the top, but few people see their cousins as the head of their family. Heck, even though I descend from two large families that stayed in touch and intact, I haven't even met half of my cousin's spouses and have no interest in doing so.

Another person who may see this as a turning point in his life is John Kerry. He became an adopted Kennedy long ago, and his acceptance of his status as junior senator from Massachusetts is the reason that he had no Senate legacy whatsoever to offer when he ran for president in 2004. I think he did nothing in the senate so as to avoid upstaging the senior senator. It will now be up to Kerry to decide if there is a cause that is his to champion. Kerry doesn't seem to me to be enough of a firebrand to replace Ted as the senate's leading advocate for the interests of poor people. For that matter, I don't see anyone being the advocate of people who are less likely than others to vote, have no money to contribute, and no means to confer favor to his own supporters. A lot of causes for which Kennedy was the champion will now have no champion.

8. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'm glad that most of the tributes and comments coming out are highlighting the better side of his life. Of course, I don't watch Fox News and The Daily Show is on vacation so I don't have anyone highlighting the crazy stuff for me.

I almost never agreed with Ted Kennedy but I can respect him for his accomplishments - I even have his autograph on my house (from a previous owner)

9. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    When I got up this morning, my daughter in-law told me of Sen. Kennedy's passing. She was watching MSNBC on TV - the antithesis of Fox News. While eating breakfast, I became drawn into watching the program. There were people of both conservative and liberal persuasions, including Chris Matthews and Pat Buchanan, reminiscing about him, and all were extremely respectful, agreeing that Sen. Kennedy worked diligently with both sides of the aisle to improve the quality of life for all Americans. In 47 years in the Senate, he introduced 2500 pieces of legislation, with something like 500 being passed. Conservative Republicans who cosponsored bills with him included John McCain, Dan Quayle and Orrin Hatch.
    Despite the many tragedies in his life, he always reached out a helping hand to others. He was not a hateful person. Like Ronald Reagan, he ignored those who were disrespectful. Agree with his political philosophy or not, he will be sorely missed.

10. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Although it was expected, I am saddened at the news but appreciative of the praise he's receiving from both sides of the aisle for being willing to reach across that aisle, and hope his example of leadership will be taken to heart and someone will step forward to fill his shoes.

11. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    A Sad day, he will be missed.

12. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    did you know that Senator Kennedy went to the funeral of all Mass. men and women service members who gave their lives in service to our country?

One classy man; he will be missed.

13. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Ditto. I wish his family the best.

14. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Teddy will be missed for a number of reasons, but what you've said is one of the keys.

John