1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

telemarketers

Discussion in 'The OT' started by bobsupra, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 6, 2007 #1 of 18
    bobsupra

bobsupra Work In Progress DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 12, 2002
    The National Do-Not-Call registry was set up 5 years ago for people to identify their phone numbers as not available for telemarketers. For the most part, the list did a pretty good job in reducing the number of telemarketing calls I receive (normally during dinner).

I was surprised to find out that when one registers their number, it is good only for five years, and then, unless renewed, becomes available for solicitation calls. Go to:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt107.shtm (Question 15).

If you want to renew your number as being blocked, go to:

https://www.donotcall.gov/register/Reg.aspx

The government is not advertising this little loophole (five years) and unless one takes steps to renew, expect a lot of dinner interruptions.

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2 of 18
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I moved a couple of years back an added my new numbers to the list immediately .. I should be good for a while, then.

3. Sep 6, 2007 #3 of 18
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm really not convinced this do not call list business is of any value. People/businesses that intend to violate it, will violate your privacy whether you are on a list or not. Legitimate businesses really didn't caust the problem anyway. And being on a list essentially verifies that your number is a valid one, so when people get the do not call list (supposedly to know who not to call) they know exactly who to call!

4. Sep 6, 2007 #4 of 18
    dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    It's cut down on a lot of calls for us unfortunately it doesn't cover non-profits and political calls (they're still allowed to call), nor does it cover calls from companies with which you have services like Dish Network ("no I really don't want that premium movie service even at $10/month).

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 18
    dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    I verified my registration from 2004 and it is good until 2012.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 18
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    It has *drastically* cut down on the number of telemarketing calls I've gotten. Of course, the loophole that allows any and all political candidates to ignore the list means (living in New Hampshire) that I get inundated every few years with political calls and pollsters.

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 18
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Also, I believe that folks can call you asking if you'll take their "survey." I personally refuse to answer any survey via the telephone - regardless of cause - because I'm convinced that this will initiate the "prior relationship" clause that allows folks to call you regardless of your status on the list. I haven't read the fine print in a while, but I do believe that this is a loophole for companies to get you on their list while still following the rules. The sad thing is that this "prior relationship" may be with the marketing company at which time they can call you for any number of clients that they may have.

That's just my $.02 and it may be simple paranoia on my part - my refusal to answer surveys via telephone will not change, though.

8. Sep 6, 2007 #8 of 18
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Just because you're paranoid, Doug, doesn't mean they're not out to call you! :lol:

9. Sep 6, 2007 #9 of 18
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm not really paranoid by nature, but I'm sure I don't get all of these "survey" calls by dumb luck. I have found, though if you ask them nicely to take you off of their list, they will (at least for a while :)).

10. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    And don't fill out those "Win this car" cards at fairs or theaters either, you'll get slapped on time-share telemarketting lists so fast your head will spin! If you read the fine print, that's what it says will happen if you fill one out but a lot of people don't read the fine print!

Same thing happens if you drop your business card in one of those "Win a free lunch" fishbowls at restaurants; drop one in and you'll be getting calls from whoever is sponsoring the fishbowl!

11. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Notice-

FYI- On September 9th all cell phone numbers will be released to lists for telemarketing,. You need to register those numbers. Not that it will help. I get 6-15 calls a day from at&t who claims they are exempt because my phone service is with them. Not my choice- they bought Bell South!
    While my telemarketing calls have rolled back due to registration, it is only for those unknown calls like to sell me a free vacation to Disney etc. I still get huge number of calls from at&t and CC companies I do business with. Those would be exempt.

12. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Don: As noted in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=93226&highlight=alternative I was having similar problems when AT&T took over Bell South, only one or two calls a day though. I have a business line with them. I called the small business dept and told them that I was tired of getting these calls and that I was in the process of finding an alternative to them and that if they didn't stop I would be disappearing. They then would have no on going business relationship with me and could not call. I told them to consider me to NOT EVEN EXIST. The next day I got another call from AT&T.... to ask me how my experience was with their customer service departement. I told them what I thought of them and that I considered THAT call to be in violation of what I told the customer service rep the previous day. I haven't had one phone call from them since. :D The only problem with this is that it stopped my hunt for an alternative.

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
  14. Clato

Clato Banned User

Aug 30, 2007

also REMEMBER,most states also have a states "DO NOT call list" so register for that also

15. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    One other type of call it doesn't cover - calls from companies with which you ceased doing business. Once you cancel a service with a company, they can contact you for a year to try to win back your business. Happened to a co-worker when he left Dish for FiOS. Dish called him relentlessly to come back. He threatened them with legal action if they didn't leave him alone. They informed him that, under the current law, they could call him for a full year after he left their service.

Personally, I really like the do not call lists. They've drastically cut down on the phone call traffic in my house too. Most of the time I don't mind the solicitations. They're just trying to expand their businesses. But every once in a while you'd get one that just got nasty with you if you didn't take their offer for a free estimate.

Of course, with the do not call lists, you can't have the same kind of fun screwing with those telemarketers.

16. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    They can call for up to a certain time. However, once you let that former company know that you do not want to be bothered by them, they must stop calling you.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The other problem with the do not call list... If a company chooses to abuse and call you anyway.. the only way you can stop them is by filing a complaint and taking them to court. It isn't like the government or anyone automatically enforces the do not call list for you... so in many ways, this is really no different than before, since you could always take someone to court for harassing you via phone.

18. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    True, but many telemarketers are trying to follow the law which reduces the call volume. However, now there is a line in the sand and the telemarketers are doing what they can to get what they want while still standing behind the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.