1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Television Cost

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Drucifer, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Got this email flyer . . .

By my simple calculation that's mo' than 90% drop in price in under 10 year.

How low can the price of televisions get?

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I bought a 32" Seiko from HRGregg last year for $179. I regard its performance as flawless.

Back in the 1960s, working class families used to figure that if they thought they could get another year out of the car, then that was the year to buy a new TV. My father was a manager of a fairly large, prosperous store, and the color TV we bought in the mid 1960s cost him about a month's pay.

I saw a digital calculator watch for $600, and a few year later, Radio Shack sold them for about $20 something. A watch used to be a high school graduation present. One of my uncles gave me a nice Bulova Accutron - the kind with the tuning fork - for high school graduation in 1970. That was a big deal. A decade later, I was wearing a Budweiser watch and inadvertently left it at a bathroom sink when I washed my hands. I had driven about three or four miles when I realized that, so I brought the car to a screeching halt, but before I had even turned around, I realized that the $3 watch, which kept time as accurately as my Bulova did, wasn't even worth the time it would take to retrieve it even if it was still there.

I would guess the limiting factor on the price or a TV would be the display, but I don't know the display industry or market well enough to assess it.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My Sharp 1080p, 32" that I bought a couple of months ago was on sale at Best Buy for $199.00

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There's got to be something ironic about the fact that TV's are now cheaper than a monthly payment for TV channels when at one time we paid more for a TV than the payment on a house and the TV channels were free, albeit far fewer channels.

1 person likes this.
  5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/10/lg-cuts-the-price-of-its-curved-oled-tv-to-7000/

Since it was announced last July at $15,000, that's more than 50% in less than a year. At that rate it should be $1,500 by when?

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The original TVs were often built buy people who made lots of money and robots using many relatively expensive components (like they were in the days of yore).

Now they are assembled by people who cost less than robots out of a handful of VLSI chips, cheap casework and a few electrical fittings. Crafted lenses and mirrors don't come into play anymore. Sound systems are almost entirely ignored. Development is all about cost reduction and outside of adding some wireless phone features to TVs, that's about all they have to show for the development over the period.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I bought a Sceptre 32" HDTV about three years ago and paid about twice that price. It's a very nice set; it even includes a USB jack where you can plug in a stick and listen to music.

Our first TV, an RCA 7-inch black and white set, cost about $300. That was back in 1948. There were only 12 channels available then, 2 through 13, and only one station, WPTZ, was broadcasting four or five nights a week in Philadelphia then.

9. Mar 1, 2014 #9 of 16
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I've bought a pair of 24" Insignia HD TVs for $99 when they go on sale at Best Buy (one on Black Friday, one again a month or so ago) - and those are *1080p* models with 2 HDMI ports in addition to VGA.

For comparison, I paid $700 for a 27" SD tube set in the mid 1990s that had S-video, composite and RF inputs.

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...

11. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Tiger Direct??

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Walmart

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Today's televisions are essentially souped-up LED monitors with a digital tuner attached. Some of the cost savings are a result of some components being eliminated including VGA input and DVI input (in favor of HDMI) and the elimination of the Analog tuners.

14. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    My $179 Seiki 32" HDTV has one VGA and three HDMIs inputs, along with an analog tuner.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As long as NTSC repeaters and analog cable exist, there will likely be "analog tuners".

16. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Analog cable exists? Tell me where to move to.