1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperature on a HR-34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bleggett29, Jul 9, 2013.

1. bleggett29

bleggett29 Legend

Feb 2, 2008
    I would like to know when the cooling fan should kick in. The current temp on my unit is 114 deg F. I have never seen the cooling fan on. Is there a certain temp when it kicks on? I've had the unit for about a week now. (i've been away from Directv for about 8 months or so.) 3 days ago the hard drive had an error 3004 with over 2000 errors. I am currently running on an external drive because it took well over an hour just to get to 1% complete on the disk repair. Will it be in my best interest to ask for a replacement unit?

2. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    I believe 114 is in the normal range. My HR44 was at 114 degrees before I put some spacers under it raising it up about 3/4 inch it now runs 108-109 degrees. I would ask for a replacement as you are still in the warranty period. Further I would ask if a tech could bring it and install it, this might increase your chances of getting a HR44.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    RIght, get a replacement as hard drives do not get beter over time. Best to replace it now before you start filling it with many of your favorite shows.

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    DirecTV recently changed their DVR software to run a much more extensive test on the HD when the receiver is reset or powered off and on (unplugged from the wall outlet). Your HDD could have had problems for some time but are just now showing up when the more aggressive test is run.

This happened to a friend of mine with an R22. He purchased an exact-replacement drive from Newegg and popped it in. Upon power up the DVR recognized the new drive, formatted it, and so far has been working perfectly! He didn't even have to do any reconfiguration or the satellite setup so this must all be stored in NVRAM.

5. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    My brand new HR44-700 seems to run hotter than my HR22-100, the HR44 has been in the 109-114 degr range where my HR22 runs 98-104. This is still a far cry from an old HR20 I had that I don't think I ever saw under 122, I had 129 once on it, it died!