1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temporary Audio Loss After FF or Pause

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by newlions, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newlions

newlions Mentor

Sep 10, 2004
    I have an HR20 connected to a Samsung HT-Q40 Home Theatre via Optical Audio cable. To hear audio, I select Digital In as the audio source (for optical) and I am able to hear my DVR audio in surround, with no problems. However, when I do this intially there is a noticiable delay (6-7 secs) until it begins. I also have this delay after I use the fast forward to get through a set of commercials or pause/unpause. Is this normal behavior? Thanks.

2. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    not sure if this a bug or not?
    some things to check for.

double check for any kinks in the fiber optical cable.
    make sure the ends is free of any dust bunnies.
    make sure the ends is properly seated into audio port.

but..... every since i had the hr20, it always had a audio delay when using TP (trick play). now when just using analog audio there is no delay that i experienced.
    someone may come along with a better use of terms. i would say it's a delay on the optical side of things on our receivers. would i say this is normal?
    yes to a point, since i have used a Sony 6.1 surround and my current Onkyo 7.1 system. they both done the same thing with audio delay. it has became "normal" to me for i became use to it.

3. LR308er

LR308er Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jun 27, 2007
    Just a thought, and I could be way off, but could there be a power save setting on the amp that's dropping the feed when you pause and then powering back up when it senses a signal again?

My subwoofer had soemething like that. Easy enough to disable.

4. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    the Sony is told old to have this advance setting menu to adjust anything.
    but to eliminate the possibility of this. i'll re-check the Onkyo for this, but pretty sure it doesn't as well.

update,
    there is no adjustment in any menu. called Onkyo's tech department today to see if there were a adjustment. simple answer "no" was his reply. as what Hasan and Texasbrit already stated it's the AV receiver re-syncing the digital audio source.

5. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Could it possibly be that the HR20 and your receiver are trying to sync up?

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes it could, as it is a VERY common problem. I watch my Onkyo 605 do it every time, and thank God it does...because the alternative is some very nasty sounding noise as things try to "line up". I can watch this process happen on the front display of my Onkyo...it's quite normal.

How long it takes is another matter, that is dependent on the HT receiver and how quickly it can sync up to the restored audio data stream.

7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Some receivers sync to the audio data stream faster then others, but overall it's not usually a problem unless you have an A/V receiver that does NOT mute the audio while syncing - then as Hasan says you can get strange screeching noises or loud clicks. Many A/V receivers were not designed to handle the frequent interruption of the digital audio stream that you get with DirecTV - "trick play", going to PCM for newsbreaks and commercials etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.