1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Temporary solution?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pugluvr, Oct 26, 2011.

1. pugluvr

pugluvr Cool Member

Nov 4, 2010
    We are renting a cabin this weekend from a family who has recently moved out. They have a Directv dish, but they took the receiver. If we take our old non-HD receiver and tv, will we get our service out there for the weekend?

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You should.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You'll get something, but if the dish isn't aimed right you might not get everything. Also if you're outside of your local market you probably won't get any local channels.

As a note, if anyone at your home is using DIRECTV service this weekend, I think that violates your customer agreement.

4. pugluvr

pugluvr Cool Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Okay. Thanks for the responses. No one will be watching tv here at home, so hopefully that means we're okay on the agreement.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Another possible issue is that the dish and the receiver most both be the same technology, SWM or non-SWM. If the dish is SWM, then it will only work with an SWM capable receiver. If the dish is non-SWM, then it will work with almost anything except the H25. However, getting your receiver to switch between modes (if it needs to) can be a hassle.

So hook it up and try it, but there are various issues that might interfere with it working.

6. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Out of curiosity, if one were not at home to watch any DirecTV programming, but a DVR, for example, is recording a particular program at the main home, would that be considered "Using DirecTV Service". If so, if the subscriber were in a secondary location watching DirecTV while such a recording is happening, would that violate the customer agreement?

7. pugluvr

pugluvr Cool Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Oooohhhh, good question. I'm certain I have things set on the DVR left at home to record. I don't want to get in any trouble. We just want to watch some college football on Saturday, so we're trying to find a way to do that.

8. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    I wouldn't worry about it. There's no real way for them to detect it anyway. (I'm not advocating breaking the customer agreement, but if no one is there watching it, that's fine...)

9. JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez Legend

May 9, 2008

Stuart, technically it might. But if you have ever been to a college football game (at least in the South), you will see tons of dishes and receivers set up under tents for viewing while "tailgating." I have asked Directv about this directly, and they certainly did not consider this a violation when I asked. And yes, with 4 HDDVR's, I am almost always recording something. Again, not trying to argue, but I don't think this kind of "short term" use is what they are concerned with. I reserve the right to be wrong.

10. trucker2536

trucker2536 New Member

Oct 9, 2011
    ive been told by an installer that i could watch D* on a big rig while the fam watches the dvr at home and it does not violate any rules just no locals outside the spot beam

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I thought that was what the mirror fee for the additional box was for, so you could watch something else while the family watched on the main box. Surely they dont want you to set up a completely separate account for "tailgating". Dont they even have, or had, a mobile receiver specifically for that?

12. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    It might be "technically" breaking the agreement, but he is not stealing anything. DirecTV is getting their money either way, and it is not like he is stacking or anything. Seems like a non issue.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Never trust an installer to offer DIRECTV account policy information. It isn't something that they need to know and they get a lot of word-of-mouth and speculative information from customers and other installers. Think of it as asking your mechanic what the mileage policies are for a leased car.

The same goes for many CSRs as you'll often get different answers depending on who you talk to.

If you look at the documentation, I think you'll find that mobile accounts can't have multiple receivers.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There is a loophole for tailgating, as you are not setting up service at a freestanding, permanent location. That's why you can have service in your RV or on your truck bumper, that's what I was told. Using DIRECTV at two permanent locations is the issue.

Will they know? probably not. Is it really the worst thing in the world? No. But is it technically against the customer agreement you signed? Probably.

15. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I doubt that they will send the Audit Nazis out in a van to apprehend him. I wouldnt worry about it.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There is no such loophole.

17. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    The old non-HD receiver has an active card?

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You read your agreement with directv, did you?

19. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Years ago they use to advertise. Take it with you were ever you go. Lol

20. CliffV

CliffV Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    I asked a CSR ten years ago about adding a DVR at my vacation cabin. She was fine with it as long as both residences weren't occupied at the same time.

My brother asked a CSR last year about a similar arrangement. The CSR told him that Directv wanted him to call and tell them each time he went from one place to the other. That seems a little odd.

So certainly such arrangements match the spirit of the law if not precisely the letter of the law.