1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tenting for Termites

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by toobs, Oct 22, 2013.

1. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    This is a weird question. Management is going to tent the entire complex for termites. My dish is mounted on the roof. Do you think that I will get a signal to the Genie for my recordings while they are tenting?

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    If it's a plastic tent, yeah the signal will probably make it through.

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Hope somebody that has tried this weighs in!

VERY interesting question!

The tarp might be Mastek, which according to the MSDS is apparently a hydrated acrylic polymer. I'd be cautiously optimistic that the dish will just see a little attenuation and your recordings will be fine.

But the 'voice of experience' is what we really need.

Those rain baggies they make might be a similar material and they don't attenuate much, but they don't really help with rain fade either, LOL.

4. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I know that this is a weird question. Maybe I will hide in the closet while they tent to see if the orange/yellow lights come on the dvr <laugh>.

5. DirecTV 

DirecTV  New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    I'd be more concerned about whether the tent mis-aligns or damages the dish or feed arm/elements, and would check into insurance coverage/waiver by the pest company and/or DirecTV, and who, if anyone will cover it.

If you decide to hide in the closet... wear your "Vamonos Pest" shirt...

6. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    The lights would come on anyway. As long as you aren't out so long that it would lose guide data.

7. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Just had to check in this thread to see if someone had made such a reference. Thanks for not letting me down.

8. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Yes, that is one of my concerns also. You can't see the dish on the roof. My dish is mounted on the chimney, but it's not sticking out in the air. The smoke stack should give enough clearance for the dish and the tent.

They're tenting the complex for three days. I need to figure out where to stay.

If I see the light, I will make sure to post <shrug>.

Let you guys know what ends up happening in a month.

9. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Wow, tenting for 3 days. That is a nuisance.

Would management consider burning the building for the insurance money and splitting it with the tenants ??

:coffee

10. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    The complex that I live in is pretty good size. Maybe 300-400 residence and I live on the top floor.

Unless I want to bunk with my downstair neighbor, maybe tenting is a good idea. Just don't understand why didn't they tent over summer instead a week before Thanksgiving.

11. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    They are supposed to tent the complex tomorrow. I had to sign a release form for the dish. If the dish needs to be realign, I am responsible. The tents are going to be up for at least 24 hours, and another day to air out, and then we can come back after 72 hours. I have recording scheduled for Wednesday night and my Thursday's recording should be fine if the dish it still in tune.

It should be interesting.

I will report back after I'm back in my unit.

12. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Will you need a shop vac to remove the knee deep layer of dead bugs ??

:coffee

13. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    As long as it get rid of the ants, I can dust them off. No bed bugs though.

14. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Update:

It seems like that all of my recordings went through even when the tents were on the complex. My dish didn't get out of align either. All is well.

15. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    awesome!

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what about ants and bags ?are they dead ? :)

17. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Terro does a better job for ants.

18. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Termites aren't ants. Typically you can't see them as they like to stay underground and inside walls, unless they are swarming. I had never heard of tenting for termites before, but it does appear to be a common practice when things get out of control.

19. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Very common the further south you go -- where it's obviously easier for things to get out of control, since the weather doesn't get cold enough to dissuade the little buggers. I've lived in places that have had it done in both Florida and California.