1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Terminators vs. Caps

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hdfan01, Apr 1, 2013.

1. hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    I'm using a SWM 8 outdoors for RV use. I have some open/unused connections on the MS. Which should I use to protect those connectors, terminators or caps?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It depends on which connectors you're talking about.
    Legacy you want caps, while the other SWM output needs a termination.
    If you're not using all the inputs, then caps.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the 3 legacy ports and the satellite inputs (the ones that are not being used)uses caps. the SWM outputs (not being used) uses terminators

4. Floyd

Floyd Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    If there is voltage present on the port, then you probably don't want to use a typical 75-ohm terminator, since most of them us a resistor to get the 75-ohms and will short out the voltage and get hot.
    There are special capacitatively-coupled 75-ohn terminators that are used when voltage is present.

5. hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    Thanks fellows, got it figured out. Now all I have to do is find a source for the little caps. Looked all over the internet and only found terminators. Guess I'll have to flag down a DirecTv truck and ask for a few.:)

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Break the pin out of a terminator and it becomes a cap.

7. ikoniq

ikoniq Cool Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I love the simplicity of this response.