1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible install experience

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jbuch, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1 of 24
    jbuch

jbuch Mentor

Jun 22, 2004
    I called Movers Connection about 2 weeks ago and scheduled an install today. They were supposed to arrive between 8 and noon to do an installation of my two HD DVR's and the Whole Home DVR w/ Internet Connection. I get a call from the installer at 10:45 telling me he won't be able to install it because they are all out of DECA modules. He should at least be able to get service going even if they have to come back sometime next week to enable the Whole Home DVR service. The installer said they have to close out a job within 2 days or they don't get paid. I'm waiting to here back from a supervisor. This is ridiculous.

2. Jul 8, 2010 #2 of 24
    hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    I had a similar experience recently. 8a-12p install window only to be called around 9a to be told he (tech) doesn't have a needed part, the PI of all things. When he said it would be after 12p before he could get there, I stood my ground and said fine, I will be waiting.

I got a second call after noon and the tech said he would be there within the hour. Two hours later I was on the phone with D* asking where the installer was since it had been some 7 hours since he was first scheduled to arrive. A check of the system showed he had signed out at my house at 10a :eek2:...a few calls on their end and he was at my house in 30 mins.

I think the tech expected me to cancel the install with the first 9am phone call and then never planned to show after lunch. Just be persistent and insist that the install must be done as scheduled. Not having a required part when the install was pre-arranged is unacceptable!

3. Jul 8, 2010 #3 of 24
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    That is a small part of how they do business.

I arrived, after a considerable rural drive, at a customer's home at 8:00PM as arranged....to do a SD recorder installation. At 7:00AM that morning the recorder was in my truck. It was not there when I reached for it in the dark at eight that evening. The customer waited all day and I drove over an hour to that one installation.

What happened to the box? The office clerk took all the oldest boxes out of all the trucks because the boxes had to go back to the HSP office for a restocking procedure; didn't say anything to any installers. Nobody but me thought this was stupid.

Joe

4. Jul 8, 2010 #4 of 24
    nicktkd

nicktkd New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    "Not having a required part when the install was pre-arranged is unacceptable!"

as an installer I have no control over what equipment that DTV sends to our warehouse. And yes it is unacceptable...on DTV's part NOT the installers.

unfortunately there are some tec.'s out there who really don't care about the customer, which makes it more difficult for those of us who do...

A quick example.... Our office has over 150 tec's DTV sends us 300 HD receivers 100 of which are H20's (which you cannot use on MVR) so realistically we only have 200 for 150 guys... they are all gone in 3 days, now we have to wait a week to get more and what did we get today....yep 300(100 being H20's)

As to the OP's situation.. we cannot start a job knowing we cannot finish it Totally and complete...

5. Jul 8, 2010 #5 of 24
    Tideman

Tideman Cool Member

Oct 12, 2006
    I scheduled an install of and HD receiver June 28 for install on July 3. They called to confirm on Thursday July 1. Saturday July 3 called to say I had to reschedule because they had no receivers. After many calls and threat to cancel service after 6 years they guaranteed they would have a receiver to install this Saturday July 10. Guess who called today. That's right no receivers again.
    Bright House will be filling in for them this Saturday. How can they not have receivers for scheduled appointments.
    I am sorry to be leaving but that's not the service I expect.

6. Jul 8, 2010 #6 of 24
    xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I had something similar with my MRV upgrade, but the missing part was the SWiM LNB. His supervisor was bringing it (a SWiM 5 for some reason, I think I only needed a SWiM 3) and the supervisor gave him the wrong PI for the DECA connected to my router.

He went himself and got the right PI and completed the install, along with an HR24.

He fought with the HR24 to get it authorized because he tried and tried to get one of the satellites peaked that the HR24 just wouldn't activate without. I think he temporarily put a standard 3LNB for activation and then put the SWiM5 back on.

7. Jul 8, 2010 #7 of 24
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If so I see a service call in your future.

8. Jul 8, 2010 #8 of 24
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Like most companies, DirecTV has to contract out months in advance for equipment, and has everything scheduled for "just in time" delivery. They make projections on equipment needs 6-9 months in advance, then add 5%, and place the order.

MRV has been FAR more popular than anticipated, and resulted in a ton of HD upgrades that have drained the available pool of receivers (there are plenty of SD receivers to go around). Then, the "Free HD for Life [i.e., 24 months]" offer has further increased demand for these receivers. The supply of DECAs, SWM gear, and other MRV-related parts are also in short supply due to much greater demand than anticipated.

Does it suck? You bet. Is DirecTV trying to correct the situation? Sure, but ramping up production takes about 60 days before that equipment starts being delivered. Do the installers or CSRs have ANY control over any of this? Almost none. Does the installer get screwed? Yes, as always.

I completely understand a customer's frustration, especially since they don't know what's going on. But try not to take it out on the installers. They are often waiting around for hours to be issued equipment, only to be issued a fraction of what they need to complete their jobs. And how many MRV jobs are complete rebuilds, where a tech has to work 4-5 hours for $30-40? A lot of them.

IMO, the MRV/DECA fee is way too low, but DirecTV is compensating for that by paying the techs almost nothing. Even in this economy, where jobs are hard to find, techs are quitting after working all day long for such little pay. Oh, and that doesn't help your installs either, as the techs who quit are usually the better ones... :(

9. Jul 8, 2010 #9 of 24
    jbuch

jbuch Mentor

Jun 22, 2004
    The installer finally called me back at about 7:00pm and said his boss was going to be bringing him some deca equipment and he should be able to install it tomorrow evening. If that happens, I'll be much less ticked off. Luckily I didn't have to take work off today. What about somebody who takes the day off work only to have the day wasted? Right now I'm without service. Is DirecTv going to credit me for the days I'm without service?

10. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    It is horror stories like these that prompted me to learn all I could about installations, from installing and aligning the dish, running cable(I do all my own cable connections, better than most "professional installers"), multi switch hookups, connect to and set up receivers and activation. I have never settled for "we'll send you what's available at the warehouse". I look for online deals on receivers and get credits for out of pocket purchases. I have not had a "professional installer" to my home in years. Now there's a contradiction in terms. I am not a young man, I am 73 years old, tech savvy and still maintain my own system. Learn like I did and you will save time, money, and avoid major aggravation.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Battlezone,

As always you nail it!

The point I would like to add is that the problems you cite are not new. They are some of the reasons why I walked away from Directv installations. There are others. None seem to be fixed.

I look at the MRV thing and the ethernet / coax (DECA) thing and see many more hours of cable and cat 5 fitting work and no additional money. I read of the newest receivers that will not activate without an unrealistically peaked
    dish and just shake my head. Aside from the low money they are asking for these new things I can't help thinking the many changes (improvements) were rolled out so quickl there was a logistical log jam to get the new item out and then another rush to get the replacement with fixes out.

When they had one boot pretty full they just started pissing in the other one!

Joe

12. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    I didn't mean to turn this into an attack on the installers, I know its a thankless job and many are at the mercy of D* and the policies and procedures. Some techs will hussle while others will not and all have their own reasons for doing so.

johnp said it best as I too educated myself as best I could about the install and did as much prep work as I could beforehand. Not just to make things easier for the installer but for myself as well. Not every customer is going to do that nor are they going to read these boards to learn why there is a lack of parts/receivers, cancelled/late installs and so on and so forth.

We here on the forum are a minority...I don't know if that's a good or bad thing :D!

13. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Very very soon on every service call -the only kind I do- there will be some new tidbit of software on the handheld devices -or in seibel at the local office if you havent got one- that will require you to run IV on all of the IRDs on the account at the time of closeout, and enter the 'sucess code' for each before you can close out the work order.
    Brilliant right?
    :jamming fingers into my eyes:
    'sigh'

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    They Way I understand it from the D* Video only a Swapped out Receiver (service Call) will require the success code (to be entered in the Handheld) that is displayed when the unit has passed waivers and the completion code is displayed.

That code has been being displayed for sometime on all new installs and any box replacements.

Be sure you have a pen handy to write that on your printed work order line item-Another time saver.

15. jbuch

jbuch Mentor

Jun 22, 2004
    Well the installer called a little while ago and told me he still didn't have any DECA modules. This is after he had told me last night he'd be shocked if he didn't have any today. I called Directv again and gave them the installers cell phone number. Directv called the installer and his supervisor. I got a call back from Directv telling me that everything would be installed at 8am tomorrow morning. We'll see, I sure hope so!

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The hits keep coming!

For $60.00 for the first box they want a Birdog or similar, white van only, reasonable lease of the hand held gadget, costs of KaKu certification and the rest can be budgeted out of checks.......

Idiots!..............oh yeah, the ad said "we pay the very best so we require the very best!"

Joe

17. satguy22

satguy22 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    You get what you pay for and not the monthly payment for service. DTV steals from installers to give people free installs and nobody cares, along as the get thier free install.

18. highlander1213

highlander1213 New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    So, did they show up as promised by the supervisor, and install everything correctly, or are you still waiting with nothing but more excuses from DTV?

19. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I cannot stress this enough. As installers we understand how frustrating it is to have jobs rescheduled due to lack of equipment. Really, we do. But what we would like you to know is that we do not control shipments of equipment. DirecTV at this time cannot produce enough HD's/HD-DVR's to accommodate the rush of new customers due to Free HD For Life and the Multi-Room Viewing.

While I know this is a very big inconvenience, it burdens us in other ways. First off, in my office, it is my responsibility to call the customer and explain why we have to reschedule. More often than not the customer is understanding, but unfortunately not everyone is reasonable. Second, I can't speak for all installers but I am paid on piece work. I get paid by the job, not by the hour. If I don't have the equipment to do your install, I DO NOT GET PAID. This is detrimental and has been for the past 2-3 weeks. It is not a local problem, to my knowledge most of the East Coast is short on HD and HD-DVR equipment.

I still can't believe DTV has authorized the usage of H20/HR20 receivers on new installs that are non MRV. It's absurd installing 5 year old receivers.

20. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Nope. All service calls.

I run 85-90% service and this is going to be a PAIN in the ASS. What if we have no cellphone/handheld reception? I guess we write down the code for later?