1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terror report wrong

Discussion in 'The OT' started by lee635, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    "The U.S. government acknowledged Thursday that a recent report declaring a decline in terrorism in 2003 was wrong.

Uncorrected report says acts of terror lowest since 1969
    The people who tabulated the report apparently did not look at the entire year and did not include attacks that should be defined as acts of terrorism, he said.

A May 17 letter from Rep. Henry Waxman, D-California, "added impetus to our efforts," the statement said."

link

2. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    How many times do the Bushies need to be caught in a lie before the conservatives open their eyes?

3. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Wow, From CNN. Did they make this up too like they did the other stories? Ted Turner said it best, We have a problem with the truth.

4. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    WOUNDED SPARROW!!!!

Fox News reported this too....

5. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    "Secretary of State Colin Powell is prepared to announce a sharp increase last year in victims of terrorism worldwide, correcting findings that were used to bolster President Bush's claim of success in countering this scourge of violence.

A revised State Department report ready to be released shows a dramatic increase in both the number of deaths and other casualties, as well as a less dramatic boost in incidents, a senior department official said Monday.

When the report was issued, senior administration officials claimed that it showed Bush's counter-terror campaign was a success."

So by mainedish's logic Bush lied and Powell lied. So now we can't trust anything they say.

link

6. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Must make it easy to live in a world where you just ignore anything that doesn't fit your preconception of the way you want things to be. Easy, but not exactly an accurate view of the world.

7. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Notice how none of the "moral majority" on this forum wants to touch this? What does that tell you....

8. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Newsflash!

Government gets numbers wrong.

Job data revised, GDP revised.

Big friggin deal.

And you want these people running your medical care.... okay. I'll just make sure I'm on the government board which oversees it. ;)

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Colin Powell was on 2-3 of the Sunday morning talk shows the Sunday after the report was released. He made it clear in no uncertain terms that the report was screwed up.

Halfsek: Yeah, you're right - government can't run healthcare, and neither can private enterprise (as much as it pains me to say that). I don't know what the solution is. It probably has something to do with flat-rate, pre-paid services (HMO's), but I don't see that working either. :(

10. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Actually, the government does do some things right. Many things that private enterprise cannot do. Our problem is the gubbamint is beholden to private enterprise. Time for another Teddy Roosevelt type to kick butt.

And look at the recent "private space launch". Take me back to the sixties, for cryin' out loud. Nice to see all those MS-DOS royalties used for something more than a basketball team full of outlaws.

11. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004

So, Happygolucky, everytime you were wrong about something, you were lying?

12. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    To be honest, this is a non-story. These things happen. I don't thing (or hope) there was no attempt to try and pull a fast one here.

Mistake happens, it was the pentagon staffers who prepared the report, not bush appointees so there is no "smoking gun".

13. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Actually it doesn't matter to me whether it was a mistake or a lie.

What counts is that it shows that current policies aren't effective in stopping world terrorism! We are too distracted with Iraq, where all the deaths, civilian or otherwise, are not counted in the figures because they are war-related.

14. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Very true. The president said he would make the world safer and here we are with pretty much every country hating us. :nono2:

15. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Bet we'll never see Bush or Chaney step up to this one. Guess those former diplomats and military experts were right. Time for a regime change close to home.

16. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    No, but my being wrong never resulted in over 800 soldiers and 10,000+ civilians being killed, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.