1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Thank Grimm its...Tuesday

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dpeters11, Apr 19, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't know why NBC thinks playing Where's Waldo? with their schedule is a good idea. They are moving it to the first Tuesday of Nielsen May Sweeps. Oh well, I guess it means it may be renewed for next year.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I certainly hope so. One of our favorites, and really the only scripted show we watch on NBC.

4. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'm kinda glad. I don't really record anything on Tuesday nights while Friday has been full of cable shows. It'll be nice to have something new to watch on a Wednesday after getting home from work.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    My guess would be that this is a good thing for Grimm, since Friday is often death valley where underperforming programs go to die.

Still, not a good idea to keep moving it; I think this is the 4th location in 2 seasons. There has to be a tipping point for that, and folks are creatures of habit (IOW I know folks who like to watch this on Fridays but upsetting that routine might mean they don't continue to watch at all).

There may be some synergy with the America's Got Talent audience, which if history is any guide will play on most Tuesdays starting pretty quick, and it does well so it might give Grimm reruns this summer some halo effect.

6. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Tuesdays tend to be a little slow for me, tv-wise. Therefore this might work for me....

7. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    OK, now I'm confused (and the Boston reshuffle just confused me even more). Has the "Ring Of Fire" episode aired yet? I feel like I might have missed it.

8. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    No. It was pre-empted by coverage of the capture of the Boston Bombing terrorist.

Ring of Fire will be the final Friday episode on 4/26.

The final four episodes will begin airing on Tuesday 4/30.

http://epguides.com/Grimm/

9. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    My guide shows no Grimm until Tues 4/30. It shows ep 44 "endangered". Hopefully they show ep 43. "Ring of fire" instead. Will have to see if the info changes as it gets closer, but as of now no episode this Friday.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Things can change in the guide up to the last minute. The producers have confirmed the air date.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    My DVR didn't catch the 4/26. Had to select it manually to add to my Series

12. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Same here, the original airing date data made the dvr act like it is a rerun.

13. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    My dish network guide now shows this fridays episode #43 . It also shows it as a new episode. Hopefully everyone's system catches it.
    Thanks.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Thanks for the headsup. I'll manually check mine.

15. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    It deserves it. I really enjoy this show, much more then Revolution.

16. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I really do love this series, and it is one of those shows that I can't figure out quite exactly why I like it so much. The cast could not be better; the "Monroe" character might be the most entertaining character currently on TV, and I like Monroe's girlfriend. Somehow that they are together makes me happy. But I have no idea why.

I think the writing is pretty good also, but I think they will have to expand further than they have above monster of the week, to keep relevant into later seasons. I know they are attempting that with the over-arching conspiracy angle, but X-Files proved that it is hard to do that well and not be boring, and so far the conspiracy here seems pretty lame.

One element I would not have thought would be that compelling is the art direction/set decoration. For whatever reason, the lighting or whatever seems to give this show a certain mood of creepyness that adds to my enjoyment. Juliet's craftsman-style home is great; the show just would not seem the same if everyone lived in a ranch-style or split-level. What is intriguing to me is that I have no clue why that all seems to work so well together.

I do have one bone to pick, which is that the transformations seem ill-timed, as if they were there to serve the plot manipulation or maybe someone goes through a brief transformation just to keep the audience on track as to what that person really is. But we get it; they don't need to be so opportunistic regarding the timing of that, and they don't need to hit us over the head continually with it. Then it becomes predictable and boring and loses any shock effect.

If I were running this show, I would have only allowed extremely brief glances, like out of the corner of someone's eye or as a brief reflection in a mirror to reveal the transformations rather than in-your-face full-on 15-second shots of that. This is not a new and clever technique; Hitchcock used it to great effect showing the blood going down the shower drain in Pyscho, and Ridley Scott schooled everyone on exactly how to do this in Alien, by never showing a full shot of the monster until deep into the movie. Less is more.

(Apologies; the new forum format is buggy, and seems to currently not want to conform to a standard font size regardless of how I try to tame it with the controls.)

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  18. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Very cool. Thanks for that.

Hmmm. Maybe a little more Victorian or Queen Anne than Craftsman, at least from the outside.

Two shows with really great Craftsman-style houses were Gary (the wife's) and Numb3rs (the father's). Rob, too, I think. Probably won't see that on Justified.

19. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I were't they suppose to show Ring Of Fire yesterday?