1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank You, NHL Network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Chilcoot, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Chilcoot

Chilcoot Legend

Jun 22, 2008
    Thank you, NHL Network!

Early this morning, I recorded the replay of Friday's Flames-Canucks game. I recorded it on NHL Network because it wasn't available live in HD on Center Ice, and HD matters.

Thank you, NHL Network!

Thank you also for showing me the final score of the game as a crawl across the bottom of the screen. Knowing the score saved me a lot of time by eliminating any suspense from the game you were showing me. What a relief to learn, minutes into the recording, that the Flames would win! Totally kept me interested in watching your broadcast and purchasing products from your advertisers!

Thank you, NHL Network!

2. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Yep, been burned by that same thing with the NHL network too.

3. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    The NHL Network was a great idea gone horribly wrong. No network disrespects real hockey fans more.

4. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I agree with the above comments. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I know it was dripping with sarcasm. I only watch NHL N when I absolutely have to, meaning no other way to watch the game I am truly interested in.

SMK

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Although I wish they would get rid of the crawl, I'm glad there is an NHLN and I get it on DIRECTV. I enjoy NHL on the Fly and watching some of their unique programming. In the Dallas area, you can't get NHLN on Time Warner cable, one of the reasons I dropped them and never looked back.

6. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    Let's give SOME love to the NHL Network. On The Fly is a model for how other highlight/update shows should be done and some of their shows about the history of hockey are very good. The crawl is atrocious and I hate the fact that if they have a game, I'm blocked from the feed on CI, but let's not get carried away with hate.

7. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Legend

Sep 5, 2011
    Overall I like NHLN, but I agree that the crawl is absurd and has ticked me off several times. Between that and the worthless Tennis Channel crawl (which routinely gives info on "upcoming matches" that actually ended 3 days ago) I am routinely annoyed. But overall I love having the channels, so I have to just live with it.

8. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    When I watch the NHL Network, ESPN or any channel that has a crawl on the bottom, I install a 4 ft wide piece of cardboard I created to fit on the bottom of my 50' Panasonic plasma. My 13yr old son laughs at me. I've had it with the crawl.

9. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Deal with the crawl.

10. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    I've done this as well, only with construction paper and masking tape.

Cant stand the crawl. Wish there was a TV app to block them.

11. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    This is some of the least effective advice that can be given.

Believe it or not, if a network receives enough complaints, there is a possibility that they will act on them.

Complaining frequently by using NHL Networks contact info is something everyone who hates the crawl should do.

12. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Didn't people complain about the NHL Network not having the crawl?

Either way, the NHL Network should be able to program the crawl such that they don't ruin the replay of the game. It doesn't take much to fix that.

13. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    The crawl is fine but it does not take a genius to realize the final score of the game currently being broadcast should not be shown in it.

14. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    The crawl is NOT fine. It should NEVER be running during a game.

15. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    I've also found it easy enough to ignore.. Just my opinion and I'm aware I'm in a minority..

16. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    It’s Kind of funny that everyone is down on NHLN. Apparently no one has been disappointed by watching a replay on ESPN (or additional family of channels). Did the scroll bar start with ESPN 2 (Fulltime)? I remember when ESPN would show the scroll at 28/ 58 of each hour only. I do share the pain and realize that the scroll is here to stay. Don't we love progress! Just my 2 cents.

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I hate the crawl on ALL sporting events. It's just gotten overused and I find myself distracted from the actual game on more than one occasion. Not mention it takes up space on my screen that can better go to the actual game. I don't mind the crawl the way it used to be used, once every half hour or so. The thing is, these days, there's so many other sources to get the scores, I don't NEED a crawl. But of course that is why there IS a crawl...to keep your eye on that station.

18. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    BINGO! Totally unnecessary and for the most part so repetitive. I do not find any interest in what someone I don't follow is tweeting and I find it even less interesting the 200th time it's gone by on the bottom of the screen.

19. danegerous25

danegerous25 New Member

Dec 6, 2011
    hi all,

dont know why. but everybody is following espn on the crawl things. to give all you puck heads a head up. we at FSN, will starting to crawl(we call it the ticker) all pro products here in a couple week, def. by the end of January. so its not going away. sorry to be crass,but just deal with it. im the one with more work now, since i have to put in and take it out every time.

i doubt complaining is going to change FSN, ESPN, CSS, etc mind on their graphics. we as MCOs joke that while everybody wants to be unique it all ends up looking the same.

20. Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    In this age of instant information through other devices, the crawl has worn out it's welcome. I talked with a friend of mine that works at ESPN and he said that it will disappear....for those who want it to as it will become an interactive feature. Just not sure WHEN.