1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That was a frustrating Support call.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by RasputinAXP, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 13
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    So my 722 has thrown a hard drive apparently. My three-year-old will be QUITE unhappy in the morning because that means none of his recorded Handy Manny or Team Umizoomi episodes will be ready to roll when he is (to say nothing of me dozing off at 6:30AM for another 40 winks).

I call support and they tell me they need to send me a replacement. I inquired about just upgrading to a 922; what can I say except possibly that I'm a glutton for punishment...turns out I'm a month shy of DIU from the 211k I picked up last Christmas for the bedroom. They tell me "we can only replace it."

Well, heck, I ask, can I talk to someone about that? It's only a month, and I'm more than happy to reup for two more years...and the supervisor tells me no, and also that they're shipping me a new one, it'll be 3-5 business days before it's here and oh-by-the-way we're charging you a shipping fee for the replacement even though you're on the DHPP plan.

:( I twittered the support crew to see if anyone could help, but MAN, what a pain.

:shrug:

2. Nov 7, 2010 #2 of 13
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That is a little crazy...

Of course, you wouldn't be able to get a free upgrade to a 922 ( $200 is the going rate)... but if you were willing to do that, then it only makes sense to let you do that instead of forcing a replacement on you and giving you a chance to re-think your commitment to Dish!

This is exactly the kind of thing Dish needs to work on in terms of customer service... A customer with a problem, who is willing to turn that problem into a new upgrade/commitment should be a win-win for everyone!

3. Nov 7, 2010 #3 of 13
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    The Twitter crew just said "we can make that happen." Unfortunately they can't revoke the exchange and just roll a truck, I need to activate the receiver and then get a hold of them to go through with the upgrade. I'm just a little nervous about fronting the $200 on it. I have a few DVRless days to wait now. *sigh*

4. Nov 7, 2010 #4 of 13
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Well, that's good at least... too bad they couldn't have done it right to start with!

IF you read through the 922 forum, and have honest expectations... then I think you can be pleased with it. Just don't expect it to be something it isn't yet.

Fortunately for you, though, full external hard drive features came with the most recent firmware... so a bunch of the complaining points went away... now just some glitches left + Sling quirkiness + wishes for more additional features.

5. Nov 8, 2010 #5 of 13
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Did I read your OP right, they are charging you shipping for the replacement even though you have DHPP?

6. Nov 8, 2010 #6 of 13
    olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    According to the Dish Service Plan web page shipping is covered.

7. Nov 8, 2010 #7 of 13
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    I believe he misspoke. Also, it was...tough to understand him. I think I have to call during the day from now on.

8. Nov 8, 2010 #8 of 13
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I know it is supposed to be covered.

I've gotten to the point that I never call them for any issue unless they force it. I use chat. It is simpler, no communication issues and you don't care what their accent is. And the biggie is you have a record of the chat if you want to. I use a Mac and just print to a PDF when I use chat with them.

9. Nov 9, 2010 #9 of 13
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    And now the wife has text messaged me to tell me that after 3 days, it's back from the dead, and the hard drives are detected again.

I dub thee the 722j. I think I'll back all the recordings off to EHD tonight.

10. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    Old 722 boxed and FedExed back to repple-depple today. Tweeted the Dish support team and they had a slot available tomorrow morning, so I'll be joining the 922 crowd in the morning.

I'm oddly nervous that something in my setup is going to get messed up.

11. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    We're rolling!! Quick question: the 21.0 doesn't work with it, does it? I'll have to pony up for a second 32?

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    "j" - like the letter after "k" ? :)

13. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    well, I was aiming for 722j-esus mostly, since it was 3 days and back, but I wasn't looking to be TOTALLY sacrelicious about it...

mmmmm, sacrelicious.