1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That's a pretty messed up thing to do, D* referall program. >:(

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by matt, Jul 21, 2010.

1. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    As some may have seen, my parents are getting D*. We called the referal number tonight and were on hold for quite some time. During that hold time, a recording comes on:

(summarized)
    "Whew! We are working very hard to ensure you have the best possible service! We know your time is very valuable, that is why we have directv.com. If you don't want to wait on hold, hang up and visit us at directv.com where you can sign up and receive special offers, such as 2 free receiver upgrades."

That's just wrong. You know exactly what is going on here, this is what it should say:

"Whoa! If you continue to stay on hold and actually talk to someone, we are going to have to pay out 10 $10 bill credits to two people. We can't have that! Please, go to the website where you will be able to order without any way to use the referral system and we won't have to pay out."

That's deceptive and wrong. It came on twice, and here is the funny part, the guy I finally talked to told me it was a slow night and some people there were just standing around there chatting when I mentioned the interesting conversations I could hear in the background. I would be willing to bet, based on tonight's experience, that the long hold time was intentional to get me frustrated enough to actually listen to the recording and hang up and go online.

Now to see if the credits actually show up.

2. trackmannn

trackmannn Cool Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Interesting. I've never heard of this "referall" program. I'M SO PISSED!

3. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I still waiting for my money it has been 2 months. If I dont get it by the end of this month I will give them a call

4. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I just received an email from D* that my credits for the referrall I gave 2 months ago are starting. I have yet to see it on my statement. I had a hell of a time the first time I referred someone. It took almost a year before I started getting what i was supposed to get. After many calls and so much BS, they finally got it straight. Hope this time is better!

5. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    I feel like I am getting screwed. I don't know why, but I feel like it. :grin:

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It's a standard on hold message that they probably use on all their lines, not just the line for people calling in for the referral program.

7. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    When I referred a friend, the credits started showing up on my second bill. He called the referral and got through right away and had no issues at all. Before his call I helped him decide on what recievers and which package. He was installed 6 days later. He's very happy with everything.

8. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    The referal program has been in place for years now. Sorry you missed and couldn't take advantage of it.

9. joshferg

joshferg Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    To use the referal online go to the following link: directv.com/refer

There is a box to the right where you can enter your Acc. No.

Note: Make sure you are not logged in because the box will not show up.

10. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    If you don't want DTVs credit you can always refer through a retailer. Mastec partners with DirectStar

They offer the same deal 100$ but they mail you a Visa debit card with 100$ on it.

Google directstar and see what you get. I'd give you a # but our referalls are paper based. You mail the referral coupon in with the 1st bill and both you and the person you refer get the 100$ visa

11. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Sometimes I envision the CSR (not just with D* but any company when I'm on hold) holding a stopwatch that starts a countdown when my call clicks in. The timer starts to tick down and goes to red in those last few seconds. And yet, to the CSR's dismay, there I am, still on hold :eek2:!

12. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007

Having worked in call centers in the past, I can say you are not far off. Add to that when you call after usual business hours (after say 5pm) centers are down to skeleton crews and they get next to no calls. The CSRs start to shoot the bull amongst themselves and will see a call on hold and immediately think someone else will get it.

In most cases, as long as they meet their ASA (average speed of answer) for the call center, everyone's happy. Individual CSRs will have goals to meet but there is usually some cushion where they can still screw off and meet their numbers.

13. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes, this is what I would point people to. You actually receive an email from Direct TV letting you know that someone has signed up using your account number and you will receive credits when that person activates their service. There is also a specific number listed to call, 1-800-507-4045.

14. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    HaHa...yeah its pretty obvious when you start to think about it. Let me just say in my line of work, I've had more than my share of opportunity to "watch" a boiler room in operation. Although not exactly what we are talking about here, the premise is the same. Having said that, there were more than enough marathon smoke breaks going on for me to surmise that there were a lot of calls going unanswered (on hold :lol:).

15. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    If anyone out there has another creative way to spell "referral," I'd sure like to see it. :)

16. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I have never heard it on any other things I have been on hold for.

It should say that on the recording and it would have been all cool with me.

It is generous of them to give out free money basically but it still seems deceptive that they were not busy and I was on hold for 10 minutes and that the recording doesn't play when I am waiting for a regular CSR.

I will use the online method next time.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    How about "refural"?

18. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Ding, Ding. We have a winner. :lol:

19. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    I dunno what centers you've worked in, but the ones I have worked in FORCE the call to an available agent, there's no option to grab a call from being on hold.

20. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    The calls go into a queue and force to the next AVAILABLE rep. If the rep is sitting in one of many unavailable statuses they wont get a call. Rep sees calls starting to queue they have the choice to go available or not. That is what I was referring to.