1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The 1950's - Another Time, Another Place

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, May 24, 2014.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    For us old fogies.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/jjj9VKKSV2g[/youtube]

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Brings back a lot of memories, both good and bad.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    A passel of memory joggers, a few blanks. Anyone counted how many slides?
    Thanks, Dru.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I resemble that remark!

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Merci Beaucoup :)

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I'm 65 and I remember those days very well.

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I remember those years well. Brought back a lot of memories.

8. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    That stuff didn't all end with the 50s. It is a little before my time (I was just born in the late 50s) but I can remember a lot of it. Good memories

9. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Summer used to mean something, because we were hot. I just came to McDonald's this morning, expecting it to be empty because people used to go to the beach on Memorial Day weekend, but people don't go to the beach to cool off anymore.

Was that Eddie Fisher in the first Liz Taylor photo? I remember when it was reported here that he had died and it occurred to me that even though he was referred to as the singer that married Liz Taylor, I didn't remember any of his songs, so I went to youtube to hear some, and discovered that the reason I didn't remember any of his songs was that I had never heard them, as he had become a recording has-been almost before he became an ever-was. He was talented, but in more of an opera or showtune way.

Most of the rerun TV shows we watch now are not using their original opening credits, as they used to prominently feature their cigarette manufacturing sponsors. They produced the alternate openings that we see in anticipation of being syndicated without the same sponsorship, though I'm sure the producers expected those rerun sponsors to be different cigarette companies.

Hopalong Cassidy, the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid are all running on CozyTV. I never watched Hopalong as a kid, even though it was in my era, but I can't for the life of me see how the public could have bought him in that roll. He comes across like a radio announcer. In that era, he might have been more credible cast as telegraph operator or bank clerk or something less manly.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I really enjoyed that. Thanx.

Rich

11. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I object to the term old fogies. While I remember most of those things would a old fogies remember them. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Great slide show! Each picture should have been shown a little longer.

I remember the H&H Automats, but you had to be from New York or Philadelphia to do so. When I was working in Philadelphia in the mid-50's, I could get a vegetarian plate for 35 cents consisting of four different vegetables. Normally one serving was ten cents.

1 person likes this.
  13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    There were also Schrafts restaurants, don't know about Philly, but definitely a Manhattan highlight for me.

1 person likes this.
  14. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'm going to have to call a time check on Flip Wilson / 'Geraldine' (around 3:56 in the video). . . I think he's 20 years later!

15. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You are absolutely correct on that. From Wikipedia:

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, my GM used to take me to the City quite often and visiting the Automat was one of the highlights of my day. They served the best and biggest blueberries in cream. Shame they closed.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, used to frequent them, too.

Rich

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Wison first appeared on TV in 1965 -- appearing on both the Johnny Carson Show and Ed Sullivan show. Those appearances made him a huge star.