1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 65 mpg Ford the U.S. Can't Have

Discussion in 'The OT' started by jodyguercio, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
  2. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I can't say that I disagree with some of Ford's thinking. But I also think that diesel can become popular again with the right cars and the right marketing. Touting the high MPG is a good place to start. Someone has to get the ball rolling...

Beyond the diesel issue, it's a nice looking car, IMO. Ford Europe has made some VERY nice looking cars but they never brought them to the States.

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Having travelled overseas (thank you Uncle Sam) I have seen several different makes and models of cars that for whatever reason have never made it to the US.

This story though amazes me, why not give it a shot. Youre alread bleeding money who knows what can happen.

4. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    What is really funny to me (an an ironic way) is the California is the sate that keeps many of the current diesels, which get much better mileage than almost all hybrids, out of the US. I wonder how a hybrid that used a small diesel engine would do?

5. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I just bought a diesel GMC pickup and was astounded at the gas mileage I got right off the dealers lot (here in California).

21MPG in a 3/4 ton truck (I need this for work) is night and day compared to the 12MPG I got in my 1/2 ton (gas) I traded in.

Call me sold.

6. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    The wife used to have one of those deisel vw bugs. It was a mileage getter that would fly too.

7. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Crude oil is refined into various products. The smart thing to do is to use every part of the crude for some purpose.

In the USA:

- Extremist environmental rules force companies to make "clean Diesel" which is much more costly to make, as it is made out of a totally different part of the oil, cutting the yield. The fuel is not even something Dr. Diesel would have recognized as his.

- A "soak big business" tax system puts a higher tax on Diesel than gasoline, making it more, rather than less, expensive than gasoline.

- Most Diesel is sold at truck stops, where many people feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.

In Europe, where fuel prices are higer, environment laws are analyzed under a cost-benefit rubrick and new rules require executive action, they are not just "announced" by an agency. Fuel taxes are the same for all products. And Diesel is sold right beside gasoline in every station.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree with all your statements except one. I frequently see diesel in regular gas stations in Southern California. I'll grant you, it's only one pump when there are 5 or 6 gas pumps but it is there.

9. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    You know I'm beginning to believe because of all the asinine decisions made by American car manufacturers their objective is to go under then hope to be saved by the government(bailouts).:nono2:

Take the Chevy Volt: the prototype came out people loved it because of the sharp designs.Customers signed up to buy it,then the new pictures came out without the sharp designs?.Customers canceled their orders!.:confused: :nono2:

Same with Ford.Let the people decide!.Hey how about a diesel hybrid?.Oh that idea wouldn't be any good hell it would probably only get 85 mpg!!!!.:nono2::mad:

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    A Charlotte firm is installing auxilliary batteries on Toyota Prius for around $10K. The addon packs can be recharged either by the existing engine or plugin at home. Gas mileage of 100 mpg is claimed. Toyota is planning on increasing fuel economy on the Prius as well.

11. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    And in related news.. Chrysler just showed off 3 vehicles (Jeep, sports car and minivan) that are designed like the Volt - always running on electricity and will have a 1-liter engine to recharge the battery when your 40 miles of battery-alone isn't enough.

My question - since they have small diesel generators (look at any RV supply shop), why gas? Why not one of these small diesels - especially since they're *generators* to begin with!

12. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    There is definitely diesel in California, it is just that due to the fact that California focuses so much on Nox emmisions that the new generation of clean diesels, which get great mileage and have very low particulates can;t be sold there without the AdBlue type of stuff that many carmakers have resisted bring out until now.

13. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Check this out:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/motorhead-messiah.html

14. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Huh?

Europe has been using a similar standard for Diesel since 2005 and environmental laws are ahead of what is mandated in the US since most European countries have ratified the Kyoto accord.

Also, in most European countries diesel is taxed lower with some countries reversing that this year to cash in on the fact that diesel is so popular. Demand has also driven prices up, for example in Spain and Germany, and now diesel is as expensive or more as gasoline. I paid 1.30 euros per litter in Germany this summer. That's almost $5 per gallon. 60% of it on taxes.

15. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    In Texas you can get diesel at most any station and have been able to for years. The cool thing about going to the truck stop is those high pressure pumps you could fill up the vw in no time flat.

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I've never been to or seen a gas station that didn't have diesel pumps.

17. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I read that the EU is proposing that those lower taxes on diesel go away. Also, the EU is proposing very strict emissions that will be impossible for automakers like Ferrari to meet. It could get interesting.

The EU currently doesn't have as strict environmental laws when it comes to pollution from car exhaust:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/11/bloomberg/emit.php