1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 942 is ONLY available to New customers?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by mfrodsha, Mar 31, 2005.

1. mfrodsha

mfrodsha Cool Member

Sep 15, 2004
    What is this all about? Can someone answer? My Dad is a long time subscriber to Dish - well, 2 years - and he goes to buy a 942, and Dish says "no". They then tell him he can buy the 942 from a local retailer, but the local retailer says that they would be able to buy the 942 from Dish, but that Dish won't activate it for him since he's not a new customer.

Can someone please explain this insanity? May Dad is seconds away from telling Dish to screw off, and that he's going to go to Directv.

2. lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    I was die-hard Dish Net for years until situations like this turned me off cold to them. You will slowly learn that how long you have been a customer only means how much money you have paid them. Dish has no concern for customer loyalty.

3. mfrodsha

mfrodsha Cool Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Have you been happy with Direct TV's HD DVR?

4. lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    I only have the standard def DirecTivo and a standard Hughes receiver but I have had much better luck out of DirecTV than with DISH. My DISH equipment was flaky at best and of course you are encountering their customer service. I looked into the HDTivo but couldn't justify the cost of the equipment or the programming.

5. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    any customer can buy one and activate it, you heard wrong.

6. mfrodsha

mfrodsha Cool Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Tech support just confirmed to me that the customer service guys were jacked up.

Incidentally, do we know what the non-promotion, retail price is on the 942?

7. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    MSRP is $699...Anyone who remembers the 921 when it first came out knows hot new releases take a little while to get flowwing to the general public. Within a month or so 942s will be readily available to just about anyone who wants one.

8. mfrodsha

mfrodsha Cool Member

Sep 15, 2004
    I thought the $699 was a promotion for new customers. No?

9. lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    No, that is DISH's MSRP. If you need the new DISH with it, it is $749. Basically, they are not giving any breaks on the suggested pricing to new or existing customers.

10. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    The only special thing new customers get is the ability to pay them $250 just to lease the thing.

But exisiting customers will get a similar promo sometime after may...

11. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Moving to 942 forum.

12. quixotedish

quixotedish New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I called dish to replace my 522 with a 942 (dual tuner DVR for HD DVR dual tuner) right now new customers can get a 942 for $250 with a 2 year commitment.

$699 for an existing customer.

Does it make sense to lose existing customers to direct or cable? They tell me I have to be away 6 months to be considered a new customer. That does not seem that long to save $500.

13. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    $250 is the price to lease. $699 is the price to own. If the 942 is your only receiver, owners save $5/month lease charge. Rumor has it that the $250 lease deal will be made available to existing customers next month.

14. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    Isn't the 250.00 lease offer still available if you contact the executive office?

.... Just reviewed recent posts on the 942 lease poll. Looks like they are gearing up to offer the 942 to existing subs on starting 7/5.

15. josem3

josem3 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Starting next month, the existing customers will be elegible to lease a 942 receiver with $250 upgrade fee. :)

16. thomopolis

thomopolis New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    People were repeatedly saying that in May. I got sick of calling Dish and begging for info or the deal, so I finally broke down and bought the thing from a local retailer and hooked it up myself.

I am very, very happy with this reciever. I have an ED plasma, the HD pictures are gorgeous, and all the SD channels look quite a bit better than they did from our 501 (think it was a 501, might-ve been a 508).

I also heard recently that while Dish and DirecTV are planning on switching over to MPEG4, their are issues with all of the patent and royalty rights that went into MPEG4. They may have to use Microsofts VC-1, which is also very good, but considering everything, it could end up delaying the transition to a higher density transmission soon.

Though, even if they switch over early next year, I think the $700 has been worth it.

thom

17. zephyr

zephyr Legend

Jun 25, 2005
    Just got off the phone with a polite representative from the 'executive office.' They have been instructed to no longer offer the 942 lease deal to existing customers. The stated reason is that a new offer for existing customers will be coming out 'mid-July.' Who knows?

18. robo45h

robo45h Cool Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Same thing happened to me via email recently.

19. Foxbat

Foxbat Legend

Aug 1, 2003
    Back in March, I had shot an e-mail to the ceo@dish asking about "investment protection" in the case that an MPEG-4 HD-DVR became available within a year. I never received a response, but then a few weeks ago, one of the folks in the Executive Office left me a message on my answering machine. He said that a deal was coming up for existing customers for a 942, but he didn't have any details. I called him back at the number he gave me and told him sorry, I already had one, it's very niiiiiiice.

BTW, I used Dish Depot and was able to trade in two old receivers, so I was able to "trade up" to an 942 for only $499.

20. DRJDAN

DRJDAN Legend/Supporter

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't understand why the investment protection would not still be applicable to you. Where ever you purchased it, it still a Dish product that would be effected when MPEG-4 comes out. Did he say the investment protection was going to be pnly for customer who bought direct from Dish?