1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Americans: The Clock

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Scott Kocourek, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1 of 10
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    As promised, a new thread for The Americans. I plan to watch this episode tonight.

Please no thread crapping.

2. Feb 7, 2013 #2 of 10
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Programmed my DVR to record the series after watching "The Clock" this afternoon. As I said on another thread, this series has potential.

3. Feb 7, 2013 #3 of 10
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    A big THANK YOU!!!!!!!

4. Feb 7, 2013 #4 of 10
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I really liked this episode! This series is so weird, because I find myself rooting for the Russian couple - but they are the enemy.

And the writers do a good job of making you feel sorry for them, then dislike them intensely and finally - move toward understanding them while not liking what they are doing.

5. Feb 7, 2013 #5 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It seems difficult to understand how anyone, after spending a significant period of time living as Americans, could hold onto their belief structure. Then I find myself wondering how paranoid I would have been if my country had gone through what the German's did to Russia in WWII, and therefore easily influenced. Nationalism is, in the end, just an extension of family and tribe.

6. Feb 8, 2013 #6 of 10
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    It's the kids isn't mom?

It is called "Save the Cat" in screenwriting. Humanize the characters somehow.

Link to Book

7. Feb 8, 2013 #7 of 10
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    This show is different than other shows for me because I didn't have to give it much time to decide if I liked it or not. Most often I have to watch three or four episodes before knowing. I admit that I really did want to like it because of the topic and the channel it's on. So often my wife and I would discuss how much better a show would be if it were on HBO, now I realize FX is just as good. I'm not saying shows need to be filthy (language, violence or sex) but it's nice to be able to cross the line into what I consider to be more of a real situation.

8. Feb 8, 2013 #8 of 10
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I was pretty high on the pilot, thinking it might be the best new show in some while. Now, after "The Clock", I am wondering if that judgment was premature; I really did not like much about this episode. All of the complaints others were lodging here started to ring true to me. I guess I need ep 3 to break the tie.

9. Feb 9, 2013 #9 of 10
    Number Six

Number Six Cool Member

Aug 7, 2011
    The show is well made but I can't get past two nagging feelings -- that it is the result of some executives saying, "We need a Homeland," and that late cold war espionage seems a bit limited in potential. We already know how that story ends. They could prove me wrong on that second point, but I don't see me sticking around on this one, despite being a fan of stuff set in the'80s.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    TV is the most derivative art form there ever was. When something gets buzz, wins a lot of awards, makes a lot of money, gets good ratings, both the talented and the untalented, both of who may have not had a successful show or want another one, try to deconstruct what made that show a hit. And those who made that show in the first place even do that, hoping lightning can strike twice. Every drama on the air wants to catch the lightning in a bottle that makes Homeland what it is. Every comedy pilot will try to figure out why Girls is getting ratings, and try to include that magic in their show. That's pretty normal, and to be expected.

The sad part? Talented people will deconstruct and discover what makes Homeland great, and try to lean that direction. Untalented people have no ability to discover that, and will try to adopt the look, or the dialog, or the general milieu, or cast someone as a tough crazy female "Claire Danes" type, thinking that is where the magic is, which is pathetic and why they have not been successful in the first place.

Execs should not think "we need a Homeland", they should think "we need writing, producing, and acting at the quality level of Homeland". There is a distinct difference. Don't use it as a source for a rip off, use it as a model for how to conduct your own career. Don't steal from it, do the hard work yourself and pay homage to it. The cream will rise to the top.