1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Bible

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drucifer, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1 of 44
    Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Had hopes for this one, being on the History Channel, but it is so damn corny. It's kind of addicting in a way that you want to see how bad can they make this. The director must have read Directing for Dummies written by Edward D. Wood Jr. in his prep to do this.

2. Mar 4, 2013 #2 of 44
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Some years ago I viewed a interview with Hollywood director Mervyn LeRoy. The topic of censorship came up and how directors worked around it before the motion picture rating system came into play. He went on to say if they were to film the Bible exactly the way it is written it would receive a X rating! Given that it would have been better if they made it a theatrical release in the style of "How The West Was Won" with multiple directors. Think of the possibilities. John McTiernan directing the action scenes and Paul Verhoeven directing the love scenes.

3. Mar 4, 2013 #3 of 44
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Nothing can beat the Hallmark TV-miniseries/movie "Noah's Ark".

That was so galactically bad I felt sorry for Jon Voight and Mary Steenburgen (sp?).

4. Mar 4, 2013 #4 of 44
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I got it DVR'ed but thanks for the heads up. I'm not even going to waste my time watching it.

5. Mar 4, 2013 #5 of 44
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Guess we won't be seeing the story of the Levites Concubine anytime soon . . .

6. Mar 4, 2013 #6 of 44
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ^^ Isn't that letting others decide for you?

7. Mar 5, 2013 #7 of 44
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Nice Nick, kind of ironic given the topic of the show :lol:

8. Mar 5, 2013 #8 of 44
    Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It was the highest rated show in its time slot. And it was praised on The View this morning.

They especially liked the parting of the 'Red' sea.

9. Mar 5, 2013 #9 of 44
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For the most part, the show got only mixed reviews. As a presentation of the Old Testament and the New Testament it was very incomplete but what are you going to do in the time available???

IMHO it would take at least 36 hours to offer a reasonably proper presentation of just the stories of the Old Testament, the Apocrypha, and the New Testament (with a lot of fades if it isn't on Cinemax or Showtime). And you can't avoid making some controversial translation choices. I won't even talk about the how political issues of the 4th, 16th, and 17th centuries shaped the Christian biblical canon, or how it's stories differ from Jewish and Muslim writings.

Understanding all the issues, they did ok IMHO.

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I asked What Would Jesus Do? last night and he replied he'd rather watch Californication. Benedictus qui venit (blessed is he who comes).

BTW, thanks a lot for the parting of the Red Sea spoiler! I thought Moses was gonna provide jet skis!

11. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I didn't say Moses.

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Benedicti quo vadis dictum - veni vici vidi e pluribus unum, per se.

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    ...ouya areay goingay ootay getgay iedfray.

[Bonus points if you know what movie that came from]

14. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I pulled the plug as I was unable to finish the second episode late last night.

15. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I watched the part about Moses finding out he's slave trade. All heavy-handed exposition and grade-B acting. Brutal stuff. I guess Christians will find it inspiring. But mainly bad actors will find it inspiring that you can suck and still get work in Bible epics!

BTW, the actor they chose for Moses is incredibly weird looking--looks like an alien or something. Maybe that's a subplot!

16. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Every bible hero, so far, is coming off like some kind of wacko. It went from kinda funny to annoying in only two episodes.

17. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    I have to agree. They are portrayed as being rather stupid, or just weird. I thought it would give me an additional insight from a different point of view, but it's not accurate enough for that, and as you say, it has very quickly become annoying and irritating.

18. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    They're not ADDING anything to the cultural mythology so why bother? At least The Passion of the Christ attempted to bring something new to the table. What's their next series, The Phone Book??

19. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    Saw a few segments and thought it was a poor production. I had high hopes but I would not waste the time watching. Trying to sync the OT and NT with our own modern perspective is hard. This mini-series failures to me were not only the screen writers perspective but also because it was too low-budget.

Watching the death of Samson and the "thousands" of Philistines was awful to watch because all one could see was about 2-dozen actors on screen a bad temple set. Also the sets looks like something from a “C” - grade version of the movie “Godzila” circa 1960.

20. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    And they showed Samuel killing Agag the Amalekite king. What they didn't show was that he also killed all the women, children and livestock.