1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big 4 (BUGS, not wish list)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BKMaggert, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BKMaggert

BKMaggert Cool Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I really appreciate all the efforts DirecTv has been putting towards improving the problems with the HR20 DVR. It SEEMS they have been going above and beyond the call with all the frequent Cutting Edge beta test releases.

There exists a long list of wish list items on this site that DirecTv has been making slow progress in adding to the HR20 feature list. I really appreciate these efforts (and I’d like Dual Live Buffers myself), but …

I’m extremely disappointed in the lack of response to the basic problems with my HR20. I’ll list the main four, and after reading this site, I’m not alone. I’ve had the following FUNDAMENTAL problems from the day I received my unit, right through the latest CE release (and I’ve downloaded them all). The following happens approximately once per week:

1) BSOD - I believe this means “Black Screen of Death”. I’ve got it. We all seem to get it: Turn on TV and DVR and I see nothing but a black screen. No response from the remote. I do a RBR, and after a 10-15 minute reboot process, I get a channel on the screen, but not the channel I want to watch. The channel I want to watch is not in the guide either. Apparently after a reboot, it takes another 10-15 minutes for all the channels to become available. THEN 20-30 minutes after I turned on my TV, I can watch the show I want to watch, which is now half over. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

2) Black screen, Delete/Not Delete? - I go to my list of recorded shows, pick the show I want to watch, and I’m greeted with a black screen with a menu in the lower left corner which asks me “Yes, Delete - No, Don’t Delete.” No way to watch the show I recorded. GONE. Off to BitTorrent to download the episode I missed. UNACCEPTABLE.

3) Non-recorded show - I tell the DVR to record a show. When I’m ready to watch, the show is not in my play list. Sometimes (most recently with last week’s Enterprise and Smallville) I get the second half hour recorded, but not the first. I have no confidence that what I tell this unit to record, will be recorded.

4) No signal on tuner - I’m watching a show, I decide to change channels, and I get a black screen with “No signal on Satellite In 1, 771”. I look outside, no snow, no rain, just a sky full of stars. I check the tuners in the Setup screens and I have full signal on all sats and on both tuners. I check other TVs and tuners in the house, and they are receiving fine. I switch around to many channels, and I randomly get the “No signal on Satellite In 1, 771” message. After 20 minutes or so, the channel I want to watch suddenly starts working.

I appreciate the updates to the closed captioning, the one-click guide, etc., but a DVR should do two basic things at ALL times: 1) Tune to the channel I want to watch, when I want to watch it, and 2) Record what I want to watch, and play them back when I want to watch them.

On this score, THIS UNIT IS A COMPLETE FAILURE, and I’ve seen ZERO PROGRESS IN FIXING THESE PROBLEMS in over six months of use. I’ve used consumer electronics and computers for over twenty years, and the HR20 is far and away the worst piece of crap I’ve ever owned.

My TiVO unit NEVER had one of the above four problems. I wish I could go back to it, but it doesn’t do MPEG4, and that is the future with DirecTv, so I’m stuck.

I do see hope with the Cutting Edge program, but in my opinion, NOTHING on the wish list should be attempted to be fixed or added to the HR20, until the above four items are fixed, permanently! TiVO didn’t seem to have a problem with this and DirecTv should have teams of people working night and day to fix these four items, period.

I’ve most recently downloaded 0x13e, and just today, I’ve had 3 of the Big 4 problems. ( I haven’t used 0x13e long enough to know if, #3--non-recorded show, has occurred with 0x13e, yet.)

Pleeeeease. How can I reiterate the need for fixing these basic items!

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I haven't had that one in months. In fact, the only other one on your list that I've had is #2 and that hasn't happened since Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm not minimizing your problems but that many issues speaks to me of a bad box, bad signal chain, and/or problems with your electrical supply (undervoltage/undercurrent perhaps).

3. Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    I would say it sounds as if you have a bad box.. Hopefully some one here can be of more help than I. In 0x12b the wife started telling me that the screen would go pink on her. I thought it was due to the CE at the time until yesterday when I had to pull out the HR20 and found the HDMI cable was pulled loose. Not that that in any way is your problem.

At any rate I would try calling D* (play dumb say it made a popping sound and then nothing) to get a replacement.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I've had these from the start, BUT not within the last 6 weeks.
    What seems to work for many is: doing a reset everything which will "flush out" the unit and return it to "out of the box" state with the new software still installed.
    The old software simply put was bad. "Just" updating doesn't seem to make everything right, as there is "something" leftover that will continue to give troubles.
    "Flushing" seems to solve this [now].
    I've taken "pigs" and had them become descent working receivers [recorders] by doing this.
    While it may be a PITA, getting the recorder to do it's job is worth the effort. IMO

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    With some of the "luck" with the replacements, I'd work the box I have first. Then if it didn't "behave" would go for the replacement. FWIW

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    No signal on tuner - I’m watching a show, I decide to change channels, and I get a black screen with “No signal on Satellite In 1, 771”. I look outside, no snow, no rain, just a sky full of stars. I check the tuners in the Setup screens and I have full signal on all sats and on both tuners. I check other TVs and tuners in the house, and they are receiving fine. I switch around to many channels, and I randomly get the “No signal on Satellite In 1, 771” message. After 20 minutes or so, the channel I want to watch suddenly starts working.

This sound like a cabling problem [most likely].
    There was a poster today that went up and found a crappy connector. RF can be "hit or miss" as the cable "flakes out". After checking everything, it could be the receiver, but it normally is go/no go.

7. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    That does sound like a cabling trouble. You need one of these FTM's.:D

8. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    VOS-oldman said it best. Check those things you can do easily and "indoors' but from the sound of it I'd re-do your coax terminations if you can. A new one can make a world of difference.

9. xerxes

xerxes Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    I don't have any of these problems since the last few releases except perhaps the non-recorded show though I can't confirm this. I was having all of these problems consistently but not in the newer release so I wonder if you should do a complete reset and start over or ask for a replacement box?

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I think your problem #4 is cause the first 3. When it is changing the channel to record something, if it can't find a signal then you get the blank recordings and so forth. 771 is typically caused by bad cable/connectors, bad switch, too many tuners on long cable runs, or bad LNB.

1) As suggested, check all cabling and connectors. Also be aware of any really long runs of cable (i.e. more then 80 feet or so). Perhaps list out all your cabling and receivers here.
    2) If cables are fine then take the multiswitch out of the equation to eliminate the swtich.
    3) Probably the first thing to check actually would be your signal strength. Got mostly 90s? How about on your 99 or 103 transponder for your HD locals? Should also have 90+
    4) LNB could also be bad if all the above check out.
    5) Oh yea, when you have these issues, what is the temp of the HR20? I forgot that overheating can also cause these issues.

If all these check out perhaps a new HR20 is in order. I'd say it's rare that the HR20 itself is the cause of 771 errors but heck, what do you got to lose?

Once you get the 771 issues under control my guess is most of your other issues will go away.

Oh, if it's locking up with BSOD coming out of standby, don't put it in standby anymore and that will eliminate that one. Yes it should work fine in standby but if yours isn't, don't do it for a while (say 2-3 weeks) and see what happens.

Good luck!

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Of those four issues, the only one I have experienced with the past few releases was a non-recorded show (once). I did record a black screen on one of the NGHD previews, but I recall seeing that even some HR10-250 users had problems with them.

12. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    I'm going to jump in and say I doubt seriously that the 771 issue is a cable problem. I see it occasionally, not often, but once every couple of weeks or so.

Prior to my HR20 installation I had 3 Philips DSR708 Dtivo units attached to a Zinwell SAM-6802 passive 6x8 multiswitch to an Andrews KaKu dish. This setup functioned flawlessly for months. FF to my HR20 installation, and the only things that changed were the 6802 for a WB68, and one of the 708 units was switched for the HR20. No cables were changed.

The HR20 occasionally goes 771 for a few minutes, typically changing the channel to one on a different transponder and back fixes the issue. The other 2 Dtivo units operate flawlessly, just as they did before on the 6802 switch. One of those units has cable runs that are probably 30 feet longer than the runs for the HR20.

Dish identical in both situations - elminated
    Identical cables worked perfectly with previous dvr - eliminated
    New switch operates flawlessly with other equipment - eliminated

The only thing I can't reasonably eliminate is the HR20 itself. Now, the 771 issue isn't a big deal in my opinion, but I just don't want you guys trying to draw the blame away from the HR20. I won't guarantee that it is the problem, but imho it is the most likely cause.

13. dhaakenson

dhaakenson Legend

Jan 13, 2007

I would agree. With my HR20, which is now running 13e, I quite often see the 771 issue. It started around 12a for me, disappeared after that for one release, now returned with 13d and e. I've found it occurs most often when punching numbers into the remote to tune to a channel. To correct it, I just click the up channel button once, then the down channel button once, to return to the channel that was reporting 771. Instantly clears up. If I don't do that, it stays 771 indefinitely.

So, at least for my unit, I would definitely say it is an HR20 software problem.

14. dhaakenson

dhaakenson Legend

Jan 13, 2007
    No disagreement here. I would agree that DTV should shore up the bugs before adding additional functionality. I also think DTV would be advised to find a professional way to accurately detect the frequency of these sorts of bugs that goes beyond feedback from a website.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I've seen the 771 error [once] recently, changing channels did fix the problem. Then I looked at my transponder power & found my local spot beam transponder had changed transponder. Hasn't happened since.

16. ninerlou

ninerlou Cool Member

Jan 28, 2007
    I've had my unit for three months and have only had to reboot once. I agree the unit is quirky and needs some fixin'... but the list of problems you have... don't really affect me at all on a normal basis.

17. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    If you tried to record it on 77 when it was there, you'd get the black screen with a possibly "Searching for Authorized Content" or something close to that. If you tried to record it when it was on 98, you would have gotten a picture.

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Yes, I did and I did.

19. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    Is this 771 overlayed on the picture or is it on a black screen? Mine used to happen on the picture itself and I could watch TV all day like that. If I punched in another channel number and then punched the number of the channel that was giving me issue the 771 would be gone. I have not had that problem since my very first software that came with the HR20 back in November.

20. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I've had 3 total since Nov 2006 (well, that's if you consider a lockup requiring a RBR a BSOD which happened last week). Anyway, it's not an issue with my unit. Heck, my HR10-250 had a BSOD last week.....:(

Haven't had one since the begining of January and even then it was infrequent.

Not a problem that I've ever had.

Not an issue I have unless there is an underlying antenna/signal issue.

Sorry that you're having problems, but they're not as universal as you're assuming. Try the suggestions in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.