1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Big C:Hereafter

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by gaperrine, Apr 26, 2013.

1. gaperrine

gaperrine AllStar

Dec 7, 2002
    Dexter MI
    The Big C is now The Big C:Hereafter. You'll need a new series link. Starts Monday

2. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Timer set. Thanks for the reminder. :righton:

3. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I wonder why they changed the name. Do you think that this will be the last season of the show? I've been watching it from its debut and its a great show, but how much further can they take it?

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I'm thinking along the same lines, toobs. Sure feels like the last hurrah. You make an excellent point in that they indeed may be running out of ways to keep the show going.

5. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Cancer is a touchy subject, but I just hope that they don't make the last "hurrah" to be all butterflies and happiness either. I kinda want to see Catty(?) suffer at some point to show the true side of what's it's like to have Cancer.

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Sadly, real-life cancer and suffering doesn't appeal to many viewers. While your scenario is all human, I don't know that the producers will use it as such. Ratings are everything in their eyes.

I may be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't use this season as a springboard for another character's spinoff.

7. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
    I read that there will only be four episodes and that will be the end of the series.

I don't get the name change either. It's seems to be more and more common for some reason. Many viewers will miss out on new episodes of renamed series because they have it set up on a DVR with the old name. It's almost a part time job trying to keep up on all the changes in programming. The thing I hate the most is Discovery channel and all their rehashed shows. They add a bunch of Twitter CRAP, maybe a few extra scenes, and call it new.

8. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    My guess is that the name change has something to do with viewer psychology. It also forces you to edit your timers/links and treat this as if it were a new series. It's one way to prepare you for the cancellation and maybe, a re-launch (aka spinoff).

Yeah, Discovery has been showing rehashed "Deadliest Catch" episodes that the DVR has trouble distinguishing from the already-aired ones.

Really stupid to irk your viewers, but there they go anyway.

9. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Only 4 episodes? Can anyone confirm this?

10. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    "The final four-hour, four-episode run that starts Monday night feels smoother. While there are times when it’s no easier to watch, the certainty of the end seems to give the show more focus."

Oh wow, I didn't knew that it was coming to an end. Hence the name change.

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
  12. thxultra

thxultra Godfather

Feb 1, 2005
    Ya only 4 episodes. Total bummer this has been one of my favorite showtime shows. Great writing and acting. Will be sad to see it go.

13. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Yeah, I agreed. It was a great show. I'm kinda glad that they are ending the series now then later.

Weeds for example just got too lame.

United States of Tara got so stupid.

I stopped watching Nurse Jackie after season two because it became so unrealistic.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Interesting. We still love "Nurse Jackie".

One thing for certain, after watching the first episode of "The Big C:Hereafter" I don't think "unrealistic" is a term that will be applied to it. But I do think the short season will require its own box of tissues next to our TV.

15. thxultra

thxultra Godfather

Feb 1, 2005
    Couldn't agree with you more. Loved the first few seaons of Weeds then it got Awful. Ending was the worst part.

16. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well what did you guys think? Very sad. I wanted more.

17. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    It never recorded, I forgot to change my season pass to the new show name

1 person likes this.
  18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I thought it was well done, realistic about how things seem to go. The afterlife stuff was comforting only because she got her pool, but was not necessary for me.

19. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    It was a good way to end it. I will miss the show.