1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The BIG Question on Updates....?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jeff25, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff25

Jeff25 New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Hi gang,

I've been lurking around here since last Thursday when I recieved my R15 and have learned alot from the various threads however I have one major question...

...If it wasn't for this website how would we (the average consumer) learn about these updates and new R15 functionality!?!?! Shouldn't DTV post these updates on THEIR support page???

If anyone has any tips for another "newbie" please lemme' know.

BTW - Mine has crashed 3 times since I got it...and I beleive it has the 10bF OS (if it's appropriate to call it an OS?!?!)

Cheers,

--Jeff25

2. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to DBSTalk.com, as of right now there is no way for the average user to know what has been updated or for that matter that an update has actually taken place. I don't know if this is going to change in the future or not but for now just stick around here and you should be able to find out the updat is on it's way before others get it, some of whats coming is sort of hinted at if you know what I mean, :D

3. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Kinda says it all. Sad...but true.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Jeff.... Welcome to the club..

I believe you will have 10AF on your system (not 10BF as that version hasn't been reached yet... :) )

Forums like this, relationships with people, ears to the ground, ect.....
    We tend to find out weeks before things become "official".

Yes, one of the areas that DirecTV needs to work on is a consistant stream of information via their portals (phone, mail, internet). It will come in time, but for now.... I like being the first to know..... :D It's fun...

5. d0ug

d0ug Legend

Mar 22, 2006
    I seem to remember almost a year ago when my D10 updated its firmware automatically it left some kind of notification on the screen that an update had taken place.

It seems since the D10/11 and R15 firmwares are somewhat similar, it would probably give the same notification. I have forced all the updates on my R15, so I don’t know.

6. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    They haven't been that nice to us :( with the R15. Haven't gotten any messages (haven't forced downloads either).

7. Jeff25

Jeff25 New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Thanks gang for the nice welcome!

I hear what yiu say about DBSTalk.com being THE place to go for the all the R15 411...but if DTV updates our DVR with new functionality....are we just supposed to stumble across them on our own?!?!

....and when I say "added functionality" I'm refferring to things like the 30sec. Slip feature that comes with the new 10B8 system update as mentioned in Earl's thread... "R15: Software Upgrade: 4/11/2006 ->Software Versions (10B8) ONLY!"

Is there some sorta' psychic connection that the R15 has with me so that when I get near it I'll automatically know what new features it has?!?!? Heck I can't even figure out how to check the mail that I seem to be getting (...since there is a li' envelope icon on my Info/Guide screen)

Don't get me wrong I like the DVR just fine ; ) ...I just don't like bad Marketing/Customer Communication ; (

...gotta' go watch my DVR'd "Young Frankenstein" now.

8. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Aw shucks, most peeps did not even KNOW what the R15 did until Earl posted it :). ...and that was over in the other forum.

Forums are a great resource for those that do take the time to pick up a few nuggets of info.

9. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I guess the sad part is that R15 users without 'net access or those that do not check here will never know about the SLIP until they press the button. Then they will think it broke as it didn't jump to the end. Resulting in a call for support. After all, they never even know they received an update, let along what it updated. Not too smart is it?

10. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Wonder if support will tell them it's broke and they will send out a new one? :lol:

(that was sarcasm)

11. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Probably. (not sarcasm). :D

12. ronw41

ronw41 Mentor

Nov 17, 2005
    The term for the day is: Refurb; Refurb!:(

13. leesweet

leesweet Godfather

Jul 15, 2003
    Actually, I can attest that one of the first questions out of their mouths is 'do you have 30 sec skip (slip, whatever)...'.

When I called last week about the 02468 not working (seems to be, now...), they outright asked me about the skip. So, I bet they are already getting a lot of questions about this 'short ffwd' function. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.