1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Bridge

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drucifer, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Heavy Traffic at "The Bridge" - FX's Critically Acclaimed New Drama Series Gets Off to a Strong Start

SOURCE

Watch it. Like it.

I stopped off in El Paso once to change trains. The view of Juárez from El Paso was unbelievable. If you ever just want to get a glimpse of Third World poverty from a safe place, just go to El Paso.

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Watch and enjoy.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's a well crafted police procedural with an interesting group of characters and actors that play them. It has the potential to be a better drama than "The Killing" but we'll have to wait to see. And yes, it does have a humanitarian political message about the view from El Paso which could apply to several border towns.

4. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I really hope the strong numbers continue. FX has been on a roll with strong dramas. Hopefully this one keeps going.

5. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Nice story so far

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    If by "safe place" you mean in a plane or helicopter above El Paso, then yes, you'd be correct. El Paso is a dirty, nasty city.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I didn't leave the train station. And I was a bill collector In NYC in the late 60's, so I seen dirty nasty city.

8. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That was my impression. But then unless you are in Austin you might as well not be in Texas (lived in a few towns there for about 13 years). I made one trip to EP; my girlfriend and I walked over that very bridge to Juarez because there are so many traffic gotchas in Mexico. About a block in, I look down an alley and there is a car being quickly repainted with another guy swapping out the license plates. Juarez makes that dirty, nasty EP look like The Riviera.

As for the show, it seems to be moving pretty slow. I have issues with Ted Levine because every time I see him I see that creepy killer (Buffalo Bill?) he played in Silence of the Lambs (one of many reasons I never watched Monk). But this seems to be a star turn for him; he's terrific.

I've always had a thing for Diane Kruger. Her character's Asberger's is interesting, and I think she has it about right, but the gold standard is still "Gary" in Alphas. Demian Birchir seems very charismatic. This could be a winner. It isn't yet, but it could be. The bomb sequence was pretty entertaining.

I will keep watching if they ramp it up a bit; too slow at the moment.

9. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    The Mrs.and I enjoyed the pilot very much. Demián Bichir was pretty authentic.FX may have something here.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I just casually noticed that the writers of this series were names I recognized associated with various Scandinavian shows that have either been remade or shown here. And lo-and-behold, "The Bridge" was/is a Danish/Swedish TV series and Wkipedia's description of the plot begins:
    And, yes, the female detective in that version "appears to have symptoms consistent with Asperger syndrome, resulting in difficulty establishing relationships and feelings of inadequacy in managing people."

Given the complex character development found in this show, "The Killing", and "Wallendar," I'm happy that FX, AMC, and PBS carry these Scandinavian-based shows.

11. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Now the lead detective is starting to make sense.

12. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I now can say, I love this show.

13. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Let's hope they wrap up the season better than The Killing did in Season 1.

1 person likes this.
  14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Let's hope they wrap up the season better than The Killing did in Season 1.

:lol:

I'm enjoying it.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

15. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    Juarez is third world? I've been to Olangapo City, RP.

It's a good show so far. Different characters and plot. I hope it stays fresh.

1 person likes this.
  16. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Fresh is a good word! There is nothing predictable (IMO) about this show. It goes in directions that I didn't guess or anticipate. That makes it "must watch"!

17. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    Me too. I love The Killing but hated that they stretched the first series to 2 years.

18. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I am enjoying the The Killing so far this year also.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OK, just caught the second ep. Loving it! Some great acting.

Was not Lyle Lovett in this ep? (IMDB doesn''t seem to list him, a character who is a lawyer)
    Was not also Tom Paxton making a cameo? (IMDB doesn''t seem to list him, either).

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Lyle Lovett was in the episode. He was the lawyer. Where did you think you saw Tom Paxton? I don't recall seeing him off-hand, but if you remind me who he was I might be able to confirm...

- Merg